Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
New stuff on OS4Depot for AmigaO4.1 crashes on AmigaOS4.0
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
New stuff on OS4Depot for OS4.1, crashes whit ISI error on AmigaOS4.0,
should there not be some kind of version number checking?

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Re: New stuff on OS4Depot for AmigaO4.1 crashes on AmigaOS4.0
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Depends on where it crashes. Yeah, people should probably build in some version checks, but then, if it says that 4.1 is a requirement, don't run it on 4.0

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rogue

I was to seeing this crashes until i read the requirements so its really not strange it crashed. Next week i probably wont see them anymore ;)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

well the problem is that does not always get ISI but total freeze afterward, I will be upgrading soon so it not big problem for me.

I see a problem for classic users that will have to navigate between OS4.1 only programs and OS4.0 programs.

there shuld also be some kind of legacy, complier switch, lets say I wont to support OS4.0 user whit the new OS4.1 SDK, maybe a -D OSVERSION=4.0 compiler switch or some thing.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@LiveForIt

Solution: UPGRADE

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:

well the problem is that does not always get ISI but total freeze afterward, I will be upgrading soon so it not big problem for me.

Well, what happens there depends on what the application is trying to do. If it jumps into an unknown offset in the interface, anything can happen.

Quote:
I see a problem for classic users that will have to navigate between OS4.1 only programs and OS4.0 programs.

Well the same holds true for users of AmigaOS 3.9 that cannot run AmigaOS 4.0. Or users of AmigaOS 3.1 that cannot run 3.5 and 3.9 software. There's always something like minimum requirements, and you need to check them before you try a program.

Quote:
there shuld also be some kind of legacy, complier switch, lets say I wont to support OS4.0 user whit the new OS4.1 SDK, maybe a -D OSVERSION=4.0 compiler switch or some thing.

Something like that never existed for any previous version of AmigaOS and won't be done. The autodocs usually list the minimum OS version that introduced the call.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rogue
Quote:

Something like that never existed for any previous version of AmigaOS and won't be done. The autodocs usually list the minimum OS version that introduced the call.

On the other hand you wrote in the os4_migration_guide.pdf that "The preferred method for initialization of system libraries is the usage of the libauto link library.". And this link library only does a OpenLibrary("whatever.library", 0) call. It will open any version and the app will crash.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Troels

It's better if the software checks and if the OS version is too low to clean exit it. Many people try software out of curiousity and it's bad if it crashes. Also some time the software works (I remember running many AOS "2.0" programs on 1.3), so people love to try in hope. Crashing software because of OS version is ugly, especially when it bring down the whole system and you have to reboot.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ZeroG

if (ExecBase->lib_Version 53) ...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
New stuff on OS4Depot for OS4.1, crashes whit ISI error on AmigaOS4.0, should there not be some kind of version number checking?

Indeed there should be. I don't know which "New stuff" you are referring to but it should be fixed so it won't crash on OS4. I hope you reported the problem to the author.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:

ZeroG wrote:
@Rogue

On the other hand you wrote in the os4_migration_guide.pdf that "The preferred method for initialization of system libraries is the usage of the libauto link library.". And this link library only does a OpenLibrary("whatever.library", 0) call. It will open any version and the app will crash.

The app will crash if it doesn't verify the version number. I used zero because it is always better to leave the program gracefully instead of an abort().

Any program should check the library version it has opened and exit if the version is not high enough.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
The problem is that these programs are not written for OS4.1, they are ports from other systems, and so don't have any version checking. The people who wrote them have no idea what MiniGL even is.

Also, at some point, MiniGL 2.x might be released, which would make a lot of this stuff work on 4.0 as well as 4.1.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xeron

Well it is always possible to insert an "#ifdef __amigaos4__" into a port. Most of the ports I did have e.g. Workbench tooltypes support and aren't "just" straight recompiles.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Rogue

Yeah, but you can code! :)

Simon

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo

instead of your usual bashing, could you give me a code snippet that checks that the correct version of minigl is installed? :P

edit: btw, no i can't code, i never claimed i could.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@spotUP

Once you have a few examples, contact me and I'll add it to the guidelines on OpenAmiga.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

ok

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@spotUP

Assuming that the base variable for minigl is called MiniGLBase (can't check since I'm not near my A1 ATM) something like this should work:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <proto/minigl.h>

int CheckLibrary (struct Library *baseint versionint revision) {
    if (
base->lib_Version version || (base->lib_Version == version && base->lib_Revision >= revision)) {
        return 
TRUE;
    }
    return 
FALSE;
}

int main () {
    if (!
CheckLibrary(MiniGLBaseMIN_VERSIONMIN_REVISION)) {

printf("Newer minigl.library needed! Upgrade ASAP.\n");
        return 
100;
    }

/* go on with program */
}

Just replace MIN_VERSION and MIN_REVISION with whatever numbers that are appropriate (don't have OS4.1 yet so I don't know what version/revision numbers MiniGL 2.0 has).

If you just need to check the library version number then it's even easier:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <proto/minigl.h>

int CheckLibrary (struct Library *baseint version) {
    if (
base->lib_Version >= version) {
        return 
TRUE;
    }
    return 
FALSE;
}

int main () {
    if (!
CheckLibrary(MiniGLBaseMIN_VERSION)) {

printf("Newer minigl.library needed! Upgrade ASAP.\n");
        return 
100;
    }

/* go on with program */
}

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@salass00

thank you salass00! most helpful!

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@salass00

May I use that for a guide on openamiga?

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »