Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
38 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 38

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: OpenGL on OS4?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@gregthecanuck

Quote:

gregthecanuck wrote:
@Thread
In the past the following systems have been discussed:

- Cairo
- AGG
- OpenGL

What direction is Hyperion leaning towards on the graphics API?

How would each of these systems be supported?

OpenGL is a fundamental system, Cairo can build on top of it. As such, once OpenGL is there, Cairo is there, too.

Quote:
Which API would be the "bare metal layer" just before calling the graphic card drivers?

OpenGL is suitable for the lowest level, as is Cairo, but since Cairo requires compositing, which can be accelerated with OpenGL, Cairo will sit on top of OpenGL.

Quote:
Which API would be exposed to Joe Q. Programmer?

All of them

@LiveForIt
Quote:
way 2D?

way not reander the kickstart in 3D?

Because at the lowest level, you need a 2d kernel that handles the basic things, like setting up a display, framebuffer, drawables etc... Rogue wasn't talking about how the actual rendering is done, but referring to the fact that every graphics system, no matter how it is built, needs this basic functionality.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Samurai_Crow

Quote:
OpenGL would be the most powerful and flexible of the 3

That depends on your needs. For 2d graphics, Cairo is better than OpenGL since it also handles things that OpenGl doesn't even touch, like fonts.

Cairo is specialized for 2d vector graphcs, OpenGL is much more basic. Of course, the more basic system has more "possibilities" so to speak, but it really depends on what you are doing.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Richi

Are you sure you are not mixing things up?

Nouveau is a DRI driver for nVidia cards. Gallium3D is a replacement driver architecture that replaces DRI.

(edit) Ah now I get what you mean... Yes Nouveau is 2D too, but that 2D driver cannot be used; in fact, not even the 3D driver can be used by AmigaOS, lacking DRI and X.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Unless someone has some fancy little trick that I haven't thought of, this problem is not going to disappear until Rogue and the OS4 dev team have the new graphics system done.

I found that these problems go away with using the pull mode of the GPU, but as I explained elsewhere I couldn't get that to work reliable. I ought to have another look, really.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Elwood

I hope it's done because 3D programs will need it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tfrieden

Will Cairo become the official replacement 2D API (as in the API that gadgets use)? Or just another toolkit that applications can use? I'm just curious as to what the plans are for 2D.

Cairo's OpenGL backend is via glitz, which appears to need a minimum of OpenGL v1.2. Obviously some features require higher versions and/or extensions, but it might be possible for glitz to work with MiniGL.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@tfrieden
Will Cairo become the official replacement 2D API (as in the API that gadgets use)? Or just another toolkit that applications can use? I'm just curious as to what the plans are for 2D.

No idea, there's nothing written in stone yet.

Quote:

Cairo's OpenGL backend is via glitz, which appears to need a minimum of OpenGL v1.2. Obviously some features require higher versions and/or extensions, but it might be possible for glitz to work with MiniGL.

It needs a few functions that are missing right now, namely glReadBuffer, glDrawBuffer, glCopyPixels and glGetTexImage2d. Nothing that is too difficult to add, and in fact, I was considering it already

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rogue
@tfrieden

if you guys will find the time to work on OpenGL, i promise a lasagna based dinner for both when you decide to come in italy.

:)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmigaBlitter

And I'll bring french wine!

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top