Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
229 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Open Office
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Yes, its that old topic again!
Any one know if there's been any progress at all with it?
The reason I ask is that I've been given an old G3 iMac on which I've installed OS X 10.2.8 and I wanted Open Office for it.
The Mac OS X version uses X11 to run under. There is an Aqua (native) version in the works, but for now, X11 is the main option.
Of course, there's bound to be a huge number of dependencies for such a big package (I've just burnt a 330Mb .dmg image, which is OO.o and X11). My thoughts were, of course, about using Edgar Schwan's excellent Cygnix program to port it to. I know that's still not a native port, but better than nothing. And yes, I know there's Abiword and several other programs which give us pretty good office capabilities, but still nothing as complete as this.
Any one any thoughts here?

Go to top
Re: Open Office
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@OldAmigan

If we could even get a Java Virtual Machine on OS4 then we could use Opera Mini and Writely on Google. OO.o requires Java for its database anyway.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@OldAmigan

Basically it should be possible to port OO to Cygnix, but it is more work than I can do. Maybe someone else like to try it,
when I've published my new final version of Cygnix and the new SDK.

Because we have AbiWord (and Gnumeric, which I want to publish soon), it makes more sense to port Java to Cygnix first.
As Samurai_Crow said, a lot of interresting apps will be available then. I cannot promise, that I can do that, but I want to try it after I've completed Cygnix and some other stuff.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Samurai_Crow

StarOffice is Java based, but it?s horribly slow too.

I think native (PowerPC) binaries make the most sense to me, at least.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@LiveForIt

StarOffice is just the commercial version of OpenOffice. The only real difference between the two is that you get tech support for StarOffice. Also, only the database part of OpenOffice and StarOffice uses Java. The rest is all C++ based.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
It's the old problem - it's a huge porting job (bigger than the whole of OS4) and large parts of it have to be rewritten by people who understand how the Linux code works and who can write OS4-friendly code.

You can count on one hand the number of such people, and none of them is looking around for a job. They are all flat out with their day jobs and spending what spare time they have on OS4 development.

cheers
tony
Go to top

Register To Post