Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Status of OpenGL (or compatible) for OS4
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I've been writting for a LONG time a game using OpenGL, and I'd like to have it run on OS4.

I know the standard answer is "use MiniGL", but I've already done a lot of work and there are things lacking in MiniGL. So I was wondering if StormMesa or some other OpenGL implementation was more complete yet for OS4?

Arthur

P.S. Since I know the next question will be "what are you using that isn't in MiniGL?", here is the list:

glPopAttrib
glPushAttrib
gluOrtho2D (I can just use glOrtho)
glNormalPointer
glLightfv
glMaterialfv
glCallList
glEndList
glNewList
glGenlists
glLineWidth
gluSphere (I can get around this)
gluNewQuadric (I can get around this as well)
glClipPlane
gluBuild2DMipmaps
glRasterPos2i
glDrawPixels
glVertex2d (I CAN reduce this to f's but it makes things shake too much)
glVertex3d (I CAN reduce this to f's but it makes things shake too much)

Go to top
Re: Status of OpenGL (or compatible) for OS4
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LordArt

Quote:

I know the standard answer is "use MiniGL", but I've already done a lot of work and there are things lacking in MiniGL. So I was wondering if StormMesa or some other OpenGL implementation was more complete yet for OS4?

If you need speed, forget about StormMESA. It doesn't work on AmigaOS 4.0 anyway, since it requires the obsolteted indirect mode.

Quote:
glPopAttrib
glPushAttrib

Both in already.

Quote:
gluOrtho2D (I can just use glOrtho)

Should both be available, and easy to replace/insert if they aren't.

Quote:
glNormalPointer

Normals are in, as well as...

Quote:
glLightfv
glMaterialfv

... these, including the full lighting pipeline.

Quote:
glCallList
glEndList
glNewList
glGenlists

Those are missing. Can be added (since MiniGL is OpenSource), in fact I am in contact with someone that was planning to have a go at it.

Quote:
glLineWidth

LineWidth, PointSize, stipple pattern etc. are in.

Quote:
gluSphere (I can get around this)
gluNewQuadric (I can get around this as well)

No quadrics support, I suppose that a possibility might be to get these from the SGI GLU library.

Quote:
glClipPlane

Those are in too.

Quote:
gluBuild2DMipmaps

That's available too.

Quote:
glRasterPos2i
glDrawPixels

Available as well.

Quote:
glVertex2d (I CAN reduce this to f's but it makes things shake too much)
glVertex3d (I CAN reduce this to f's but it makes things shake too much)

They are in the API IIRC, but internally MiniGL uses floats internally. I am not sure whether that can be changed easily, but normally floating point precision should really be sufficient, unless you use very small coordinates...

Seems that display lists are the only feature that is missing.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rogue

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
If you need speed, forget about StormMESA. It doesn't work on AmigaOS 4.0 anyway, since it requires the obsolteted indirect mode.

I've heard that, but I figuired I'd mention it. :)

<Snip long list of GL functions>

To determine the list, I swapped out the gl.h include with the gl.h in the MiniGL archive I got from Aminet. Barring a few hacks of the includes, I got it to compile and waited for the error list, then double checked the missing functions against the gl.h include file with MiniGL to verify if they were there or not. Is the one on AmiNet not the most up to date (which wouldn't surprise me at all considering when it was dated)? And if not, where would one get a newer one? (I logged into Hyperion's site but I didn't see anything there via the website).

It's a pity that the Lists aren't there, but I've known that for a while. I'd still like to see my project running on OS4, and I can always dummy out those calls since the whole thing doesn't use lists. Wouldn't one be able to grab the list functions from a version of Mesa to integrate in MiniGL? (I'm not saying for you, I mean just in general)

Thanks again!

Arthur

P.S. Now to start an annoying thread about cross-compiling!

P.P.S. As far as using Doubles for certain things over floats, the majority of my program uses floats, but for certain things it does use doubles. Mostly because of the scales involved...The further from the origin, the more the imprecision is noticed and makes things "shakey". I already use "sectors" to compensate for that however, so I guess I can shrink the sectors. I don't remember at this point which part uses the doubles precisely, so I'll have to look into that. Using the f versions will do for now for a port to get it running (even if I just do a wrapper).

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LordArt

Quote:

LordArt wrote:
@Rogue

Is the one on AmiNet not the most up to date (which wouldn't surprise me at all considering when it was dated)?

No, the later versions where included with the OS 4 SDK. We also have an SVN repository with a later version. I think I'll have a look at brushing it up a bit and then making it public.

Quote:
Wouldn't one be able to grab the list functions from a version of Mesa to integrate in MiniGL? (I'm not saying for you, I mean just in general)

Not really, Display lists tie quite deeply into the underlying architecture of the GL implementation. Essentially, you would need to hook into every call and determine whether it would compile or execute (or both), it's not exactly difficult to do but a bit of tedious work.

Quote:
The further from the origin, the more the imprecision is noticed and makes things "shakey". I already use "sectors" to compensate for that however, so I guess I can shrink the sectors. I don't remember at this point which part uses the doubles precisely, so I'll have to look into that. Using the f versions will do for now for a port to get it running (even if I just do a wrapper).

True, if you have a large space then this will cause imprecision of that sort, but it should be possible to work around it. You will always have some sort of observer, and unless you have a very large-scale "universe" with a high visibility, you would always have the possibility to translate into a local coordinate system first for drawing - chances are you will do that anyway for hierarchical objects.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LordArt

I'm having a look at adding display-lists right now. Like Rogue said, it's a little tedious, but shouldn't be hard.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:
I'm having a look at adding display-lists right now. Like Rogue said, it's a little tedious, but shouldn't be hard.

It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Now to figuire out the compiler issue... :) (I'm trying not to have divergent trees because of compiler differences. I know that is impossible, but I want to keep it minimal.)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have some stupid qustions about GL, if I may highjack this thread for a moment.

What can you offload too hw? I'm thinking of what is I supposed to calculate?

If I construct a nice box and want to rotate it.. Do I have to rotate it and then upload the new coords or can I make the hardware to it for me?

RWO

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@rwo

In OpenGL if you use glRotatef(...) the rotation will be multiplied to the MODELVIEW matrix. This matrix will be multiplied to all vertices you define. On a T&L graphics cards that multiplication will be done in hardware, most graphics cards today have T&L or shaders, so if you were programming OpenGL on a Windows or Linux OS, it would use the hardware.

But using MiniGL on the amiga will not use the hardware, everything except rendering the triangles is handled by software.

So I suggest you program the rotation using the OpenGL functions and just pretend it is done by hardware. Then when the hardware drivers are updated you will get better hardware acceleration, if you recompile your application.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rogue

I'm happy to see that the development of the OpneGL library is continuing steady. OpenGL library are an essential part of an OS. Go on dudes

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
@Rogue

I'm happy to see that the development of the OpneGL library is continuing steady. OpenGL library are an essential part of an OS. Go on dudes

it was mentioned that a complete mesa port will be developed for os4 - including sort of a "warp3d wrapper" iirc.

can rogue maybe give a status update on that?
iirc this also needed a completely new developed graphics api underneath it?

i guess that the development of the classic version has slowed this down a little bit.

byebye...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MichaelMerkel

Quote:

MichaelMerkel wrote:
@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
@Rogue

it was mentioned that a complete mesa port will be developed for os4 - including sort of a "warp3d wrapper" iirc.

can rogue maybe give a status update on that?
iirc this also needed a completely new developed graphics api underneath it?

i guess that the development of the classic version has slowed this down a little bit.

byebye...

No idea what the status of the MESA port is. I really hope that it is progressing as I could definitely use a full port (with shader support). Improving MiniGL is just to give people something to use in the interim. I have the display-list core working (it executes some demos that use lists). Now I just have to do the tedious task of redirecting all relevant OpenGL calls to save into a display list.

Hans

Edited by Hans on 2007/11/5 18:10:32
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LordArt
Quote:

LordArt wrote:
I've been writting for a LONG time a game using OpenGL, and I'd like to have it run on OS4.

Out of curiosity, how are things progressing with porting your game to OS4?

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans
Are you still working on MiniGL?
Any news?

Thanks!!
Richi

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Richi

Quote:

Richi wrote:
@Hans
Are you still working on MiniGL?
Any news?

We are working on adding extra functionality and some progress has been made.

Personally, tonight is the first time that I've been able to work on it in a few months.

Hans

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Hans

/me slap Hans with an OpenGL manual...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Any chance in getting glutSpecialUpFunc, glutKeyboardUpFunc and glutIgnoreKeyRepeat in the next release?

(And ofcourse glutFullScreen...)

/me hopes...

/Me, myself and A1G4!
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Menthos

Quote:

Menthos wrote:
@Hans

Any chance in getting glutSpecialUpFunc, glutKeyboardUpFunc and glutIgnoreKeyRepeat in the next release?

(And ofcourse glutFullScreen...)

/me hopes...

I'm focusing more on OpenGL itself rather than GLUT. If someone is willing to have a go at updating GLUT support, they can always access the SVN, and/or contact the Friedens in order to be added as developers.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rogue

Will this help you in the development of ati driver for the amiga os ? :

http://ati.amd.com/developer/open_gpu_documentation.html

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

Quote:

nubechecorre wrote:
Will this help you in the development of ati driver for the amiga os ? :

http://ati.amd.com/developer/open_gpu_documentation.html

No

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
We have bad luck..

I hope you could have a little help from amd and ati..

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »