Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Duplicate KB shortcuts
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
RAWBInfo information window uses ramiga + D to both delete/remove icon (Project menu) and default icon (Icon menu) at least in Finnish locale. If new AmigaOS update is being made could somebody finally fix that ? I checked that ramiga+O is not used yet so it could be used. Default is oletus in Finnish. Also picture to icon option (Icon/Extras) having a KB shortcut would be nice.

I was also wondering English KB shortcuts are used in other languages. Is this intentional or ATO members being lazy ?

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Re: Duplicate KB shortcuts
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

Quote:

I was also wondering English KB shortcuts are used in other languages. Is this intentional or ATO members being lazy ?

The Amiga User Interface Style Guide mentions a couple of "reserved" keyboard shortcuts that should be used regardless of system locale. These include:

RAmiga-X for Cut
RAmiga-C for Copy
RAmiga-V for Paste
RAmiga-Z for Undo
RAmiga-O for Open
RAmiga-S for Save
RAmiga-A for Save As

There's good logic behind having standardized shortcuts for certain common functions.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TSK

Quote:
TSK wrote:
RAWBInfo information window uses ramiga + D to both delete/remove icon (Project menu) and default icon (Icon menu) at least in Finnish locale. If new AmigaOS update is being made could somebody finally fix that ? I checked that ramiga+O is not used yet so it could be used. Default is oletus in Finnish. Also picture to icon option (Icon/Extras) having a KB shortcut would be nice.

I'll make a bug report and an enhancement request for these. (Edit: Done.)

Quote:

It's intentional.

Menu shortcuts should never be changed in translations, since you cannot see them when invoking them, and you don't necessarily know which language is set if e.g. you use somebody else's machine, or a program does not have access to the catalog for your primary language, so it falls back to a secondary or default translation. In fact, your example shows how bad things could happen; if the user is used to using RA-D for Default, and this suddenly Deletes the icon instead, that user would be taken by surprise.

Unfortunately this rule is not implemented consistantly in all translations, even in OS4.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

Quote:

Unfortunately this rule is not implemented consistantly in all translations, even in OS4.

I hope this is going to be addressed and all keyboard shortcuts standardized on all languages.
I would have no problem on having to re-learn them again, but would welcome to finally don't have to worry about different actions on different locale (the best example is the one you mentioned)
I would be very glad to help, as I already mentioned last year.

regards

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@nbache

Quote:

nbache wrote:
Niels

I stopped to use italian language for this very reason

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigo1

Quote:
Amigo1 wrote:

I would be very glad to help, as I already mentioned last year.

Sounds great! You should probably contact Elwood then, he's coordinating the translation work for OS4.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigo1

Quote:
Amigo1 wrote:

I hope this is going to be addressed and all keyboard shortcuts standardized on all languages.

It's a big task to do generally for all catalogs in all languages, but I also hope it will happen down the road some time.

Of course, it's only *menu* shortcuts that should be kept across languages, gadget shortcuts should and could not be, since a) the original letter might not be in the translated string, and b) you can (normally) see the gadget string and its underscored letter when you invoke it, so the danger of using a potentially dangerous action in error is much smaller.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

Good to know, I will contact Elwood right away.

Regarding the shortcuts, yes, I agree, only menu shortcuts should be kept.

Best regards

Go to top

Register To Post