Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Wordworth and OS4.1 update 1
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues
Document fonts. Snoopy didn't reveal any obvious missing files, but bad font set-up is the obvious culprit. Pity Wordworth's font system is so complex, I'm not sure how it should be set-up (although it looks about right).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

got a snapshot? Have you tried reintalling the fonts?. Does Wordworth itself report any missing? Which font cause the problem?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

I'm pretty sure theres a font fixer application included with Wordworth isnt there? cant you run that?

(I cant remember if its in the drawer or if you have to run the installer again)

Mark

For custom designed applications, websites, ecommerce and secure hosting visit:

www.icestarmedia.com
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues
Having looked into it again, I think I was confused by several different problems. Aachen Bold appears to be corrupt (could someone send me the files?), while the rest of my issues mostly seem to stem from missing fonts due to my cleaning-up & reorgnaising my fonts folder some time ago.

EDIT: I've got all the fonts working except Aachen Bold. Not sure which file(s) that is. (Will need to use Snoopy again)

Edited by ChrisH on 2010/2/18 11:20:00
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I guess this thread can be marked "SOLVED", although if anyone has the Aachen-Bold font (Wordworth/WwFonts/UFST/_bullet_outlines/Aachen-Bold.type), it would be great if they could send it to me, because I can't find where I got it from (nor how to delete it from Wordworth's font list!).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

in WWFONTS there is a file called 'FontList', delete the entry in there and you should get rid of the reference to the missing font. Backit up firsy ofcourse.

Can't help with the original bullet font, never heard of it before.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Font handling and Wordworth. Pffff.

- What are your switches in Prefs/Text? Is "Postscript fonts" activated?
- Here I have TWO fonts: AachenMedium.type (=Intellifont) and AachenBLD.afm/.pfm (=PostScript)!
- Despite the fact that I have "Postscript fonts" activated, I soley use AachenMedium (Intellifont), 'cos sometimes the mix of Postscript and Intellifont lead to strange effect.
- Broadblues tip is really recommended - you can "switch off" the AachenBLD by deleting the entry in Fontlist (and still use all other Postscript fonts listeted there...).

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues
Thanks, that did it!

@cha05e90
I have all fonts activated, apart from Bitmap & Printer ones.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I must admit to being foolish. I added the assigns to Libs: and Fonts: and satisfied myself that Wordworth started and ran OK. I didn't think of loading an old document or testing it.

When I came to load an old document or even to type in the box, I soon discovered that nothing is displayed. The cursor moves normally, but no text appears - it's as though it were white text on a white background.

I've checked with Snoopy and everything is found OK. There are no error messages. I've run "FixFonts" and the WwFonts are within the list of fonts that are "fixed", so it knows where thery are. The ENVARC:Wordworth/WwFonts file points to the WwFonts directory in the Wordworth folder.

I can highlight the invisible text in the document and the area of highlighted text looks correct. If I RAmiga/C to Copy it, I can then paste it into a Notepad document and get the right text, so it's there, I just can't see it.

This is not a clean installation, the original disks are nowhere to be found. However, this installation was last used (with OS4.0) in 2007, so it's worked OK since the OS3.9 days.

When I find out what's causing it, I'll let you know.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw, ChrisH

Sweethearts, Wordworth will not (really) work this way!

Go to your Wordworth directory, find the "Wwtools" drawer, open it and look. You might see some icons, called i.e. "InstallFonts". Before you double click this icon you might make a backup copy of the files in Wordworth/Wwfonts/UFST/".

When starting the script "InstallFonts" you should be asked whether you want a new FontList (recommended when you installed/moved stuff to a new machine for example) or not, where your fonts are (i.e. "DATA:OutlineFonts/Truetype"), here you go. In Wordworth/Wwfonts/UFST a new FontList and the whole bunch of new .otag and .font files should be generated.

If you have more than one path to your fonts (i.e. you want to add the "SYS:Fonts/" TrueTypes, you run this script again and tell it NOT to generate a new FontList. The font files from the new path should then be ADDED.

Wordworth uses more or less it's own font engine(s) - so it NEEDS to have it's own installation procedure for your fonts (configure files in UFST), it doesn't know that much about any system font stuff. If you move your installation or fonts, you have to do it all over again - but it's rather straightforward.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@cha05e90

I wish it were as easy as that. I've made sure that ENVARC:Wordworth/WwFonts contains "Wordworth7:WwFonts/". I've "InstallFont"-ed from the WwTools drawer, I've rebooted and made sure that everything is in its proper place.
I still get blank text when I type or import an old document.

But I'll find it one day. There are better things to worry about at the moment.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

This is strange, indeed. I shoved around Wordworth and my fonts drawers a dozen times, from OS3.1 up to OS4.1u1, 68k and PPC - after making the "FontInstall" Wordworth always worked correctly afterwards.
Please let us know, when you find the reason for your Wordworth struggle, maybe there's a new aspect we hadn't had so far...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
BTW, what Prefs/Screens settings are people using to make Wordworth appear OK? My menu colours & window scroll bars are the wrong colour (typically red), but otherwise it looks fine with these settings:

Custom: Wordworth Scr... (created using "Insert open screen...")

Display tab
Screen mode: 1280x1024x32 (I don't think this matters due to option below)
Apply: Never

Font: XHelvetica/11 (I don't think this matters due to option below)
Apply: Never

GUI
Settings: Like Workbench (if I don't use this then it looks really bad)

Use GUI pens: As default
Ignore app's GUI attrs: NOT ticked

Palette
Settings: Like Workbench (probably also required to not look bad)

Use defined colors: As default
Don't lock defined colors: NOT ticked

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@tonyw

Quote:
I must admit to being foolish. I added the assigns to Libs: and Fonts: and satisfied myself that Wordworth started and ran OK. I didn't think of loading an old document or testing it.

When I came to load an old document or even to type in the box, I soon discovered that nothing is displayed. The cursor moves normally, but no text appears - it's as though it were white text on a white background.

I am not sure "assigns" will work. I actually copied the following files from my OS4.1 partition, and everything seems to work OK.

Quote:
Libs/digitafont.library
Libs/digitaintellifont.library
Libs/digitapostscript.library
Libs/digitatruetype.library
Fonts/WW_LasejetIII_CG_Times
Fonts/WW_LasejetIII_Line_Printer
Fonts/WW_LasejetIII_Univers
Fonts/WW_PS_Palatino
Fonts/WW_STANDARD_PICA
Prefs/Env-Archive/Wordworth/

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Funny enough I don't have an entry for Wordworth in my Prefs/Screens application. I started Wordworth (first start on Workbench), did the usual custom screen preferences IN Wordworth (1280x1024, 32Bit ARGB), that's it. No false colours. Everything's in place - the only minor thing is that WW uses of course the "old" OS3.x "theme" on his own screen - which is not that nice, but hey, it works!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cha05e90
The only way I can get it to look 100% correct (and without special Screens settings for Wordworth) is to disable the "<<Default>>" option in Screens's "Defined screens list". Is that how yours is? If not, what are your settings for "<<Default>>"?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Hm. The Default setting is enabled here, I did not change anything - it's vanilla from OS4.1 Update 1. I have Wordworth running here since 1 year now - and I can't remember anything magical I might have done to do so (I mean without an entry in "Screens".) BTW I migrated - just as you did - my old WWPrefs file - which worked ok despite it couldn't find the screenmode (of course - no 68k CyberGrafX, no Cybervision3D) and opened on Workbench. Then - as I mentioned - I choose a new screenmode for it, that's it. I had to change it again after Update 1, 'cos the screenmode ids were different afterwards. Changed it, done.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

How do you mean "disable"? you can't, as far as I can see, disable the <<default>> entry.

Here all entries for the default are at the default values, which gives wordworth a somewhat 3.1 look, but all colours etc are consitent, like cha05e90 I simply select a screen mode in the wordworth settings.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@broadblues Quote:
you can't, as far as I can see, disable the <<default>> entry.

You can double-click it (like any other entry) to make it greyed-out. Granted that double-clicking isn't exactly obvious!

Quote:
Here all entries for the default are at the default values

And what ARE those "default values"?

BTW, if I disable "default", which I assume is similar to setting it to "default values", then I do get "a somewhat OS3.1 look", and the menus then look OK, but the window scrollbars still look red.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

My system here behaves like:

- Native PPC software that opens it's own screen is started with the "Default" screen definition in "Screens" (here: 32 Bit, 1280/1024, compositing enabled).

- Emulated 68k software that opens it's own screen is started with that mentioned OS3.x look, compositing disabled (but same 1280/1024/32 Bit ... usually ...).

This different behaviour seems to be standard on my SAM/OS4.1 since first day - I did not define this special differential screen management for native and legacy apps...maybe there's a tiny checkmark somewhere in our "prefs landscape" that leads to this???

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »