Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 3 »
accidential deletion
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi , just purchased a new Sam flex 440 and while trying to hook up to the net I deleted the dialer icon, I was attempting to delete a multiple Gateway entry. How do I get the Dialer icon back??

Go to top
Re: accidential deletion
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@diamond
Copy it from your Amiga OS 4 CDRom ;)

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@freddix

I don't know how to use the the CD , I haven't hadany luck trying to read the cd or any cd?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond

Did you buya complete system with installed os4.1 on it? when you power up the machine,it will display the harddrive and the cdrom drive if it finds it. If not you better open the case and see that the power cable and sata vable is connected right.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

I purchased this system new with OS4.1 loaded from the builder, so if I use the CD and try to reload a file I may inadvertently delete all the extra files that AmigaKit loaded at the factory .. AmigaKit is at the Amiga show here in California at the moment and out of touch, normally they are very helpful . I ordered the computer on July 25th and it was delivered about the 15th of August, not bad for an international delivery, the only item that wasn't shipped was camera card USBMCR001 for downloading digital photos but I haven't received it yet ?? that order was placed on July 30th, seems like a long time on a back order list??At any rate they have been helpful and walked me through the new monitor screen settings and now trying to get this internet line connected..that has taken a while, mean time the machine just sits until they can help me, but in all fairness it really my fault since I'm not familiar with this OS 4.1 and email communications can be tedious...I really am burned out with all of this and will sell this new system as soon as I get the dialer icon back in the Internet window and try to get online ...Sadly I'll replace the Amiga with a normal pc something that will easier to set up ...I replaced my modem with router and the pc just went on it merry way but the Amiga seems to be more difficult which leads to small glitches like this one (deleting the wrong icon). The handbook that came with the machine is o.k. but maybe more info is needed for a newbie like me..... Thank you for the help and if you can figure a way to have the Dialer icon recovered I would be interested....

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond

Ok,hope we can fix this probile for you. Sad to hear you are thinking of selling it allready. I also got a complete system. No problems setting it up here. Are you using adsl modem? dhcp?

The handbook is really not for newbies.

About the camera reader,maybe ask about it again? Maybe they've forgotten about it? Was abit long that wait yes.

Would you happen to have skype on your pc?

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

I do have skype and will see if I remember how to hook it up, never really use it but its very handy

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@diamond

It's not a reaction to think to sell if you delete just an icon

- If the amiga have been installed with SFS and .recycled cache, you could recover the icon if the deletion was verry recent.

- If not the case, just make another connection with the AOS4 connection wizard.

- Or another user should send to you the deleted icon.

But just explain carefully if your SAM arrive complete and allready used fine with internet of you have mounted the complete SAM yourself piece by piece.

Also don't hesitate to ask here or on another forum for help if you are a newbie with Amiga and need help.

- Have you a filemanager like directoryOpus or filer installed on your SAM ???

I think there are all necessary informations to create another internet connection with a SAM on this forum, need to search on the forum.

Sorry for not helped more because I'm not in front of my SAM.

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@diamond

First, welcome to the Amiga world!

Second, don't be afraid just because you deleted the wrong file... this can easily happen on any other computer including PC and Mac too.

And third: You said you are using a router to access the internet? Then read this excellent, albeit a bit weird formatted :), PDF: http://ngi-info.dyndns.org:8080/Amiga ... _4.1_Sam440EP_English.pdf

The internet configuration is explained on page 8 and up.

BTW: Those informations are NOT limited to Sam hardware but the same on ANY AmigaOS 4.1 :)

Good luck! If questions arrive, just ask here.

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond Quote:
..Sadly I'll replace the Amiga with a normal pc something that will easier to set up

I can suggest you persevere a bit longer. AmigaOS4 is very nice, once set-up correctly. It just doesn't come with everything pre-configured perfectly, at least not when installed from the CD (can't talk about pre-build systems).

Also, familiarity with Windows may trick you into thinking it is easier to use. IMHO Amiga works more logically than Windows in many cases, but you need to take a while to learn the ins & outs again if you haven't used AmigaOS in a few years. Look at how different Mac OS X is to Windows, you would have troubles there too.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
dialer icon sounds like...

dial up !!

Are we nearly there yet ?
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond

You can try the following:
In your workbench partition you open the drawer utilities and start partition wizard. on the left hand you can see the partitions on your system,click on the system partition(most likely called workbench) and click on the salvage icon(looks like a first aid kit.) Then it will scan your partition. And all the files will come up in a list. Find a entry called .recycled . Click on the + on the left side of the .recycled. Now many files will pop up. Find your deleted file there. Click on the box on the left of the filename. The checkmark will now come on,and press salvage on the right(if all files are marked,unmark all first,or you'll get all files back.). You will get a requester asking where you want the file to be. If you're not sure where it was,just copy it on sys: for now,if you remember where it was put it in there. Then you can quit the program and the file is back. I tried a test here,just to check that it was working and went good.

Hope this helps.

X5000
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond

how come you don't have a CD? if you don't have the CD serial number you can't download fixes and updates.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

He has the cd,he's afraid of overwriting/messing up other things aswell if he tries to copy from the cd.

Welcome to amigans again. Did you get anyway last night with the PM's? Hehe

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

@Antique,Liveforit,Outcast,ChrisH, and others.................................................
Thank you all for your timely help and polite consideration.
I think now is a good time to bring everyone up to speed on the system I'm using, for those who don't know: I purchased a: SAM440EP-FLEX Complete System, CPU Speed
733Mhz(clocked), USB Keyboard & USB Mouse, Memory 1GB,
115v (North American), Hard Drive (SATA):320GB with OS 4.1 installed, also installed from factory AmigaOne/SAM440 Wireless Card. The above system was purchased from AmigaKit (Leaman Computing Ltd.) Also purchase with above order from AmigaKit : Art Effect 4 (Amiga CD). Amiga Future Annual Subscription and AmigaKit.us 1xUSBMCR001 Card Reader(for digital camera)that hasn't arrived yet......Domestically , I purchase a ASUS 21.5 monitor....I think that covers it...
It's great listening to all your "voices of experience". I feel that you know the dilemma that exists here with my Amiga and now I'm a bit ashamed for being such a cry baby and tossing my hands up in the air, hope you accept my apology. If nothing else I don't feel so alone...Since I received the system in August, AmigaKit has helped me(online) with the monitor(correct screen) 1920x1080 and has been helping with the Internet connection until this meltdown last Wednesday, they are at Amiga West here in California. I really gave up, then posted here the other day. The problem is that I deleted the "Dialer Icon"in the Internet drawer, while trying to delete an error from the Network log output, of course now I have another message from that output saying, [error]: Could not add route from "DEVS: Internet/routes" , line 6 (Object exists)....... So thats where I'm at except I don't know how to mount a CD in the CD to make it read a file, I understand that it reads music but I haven't tried that either come to think of it. So any suggestions?? I hope I haven't forgotten anything or repeated myself too much ...? BTW Antique, I have Skype hooked and running.....

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@diamond
Thanks for your explanation. Thats clear about your first step with your SAM and who have first managed to help you to first have your system up and running.

For internet with SAM, you are not who have the problem and
another user have the same problem on this forum:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... p?topic_id=29766&forum=14

Farenheit have made a first step .pdf for helping new users on this link:

http://ngi-info.dyndns.org:8080/Amiga ... _4.1_Sam440EP_English.pdf

Please read this pdf and anwser use if that help you or not.

Also you can follow the thread on amigaworld for other informations that could help you to resolve your problem.

NOTE: I think something missing when a user choose to use a static IP adress (on ths pdf page 11).

NOTE2: For the update of AOS4.1 soon to be released, rigo siad that the internet procedure has been improved and simplified (and the same when installing AOS4 from the CD.

Diamond, let read and exlain the pdf (made by farenheit, thanks to him) and if something not clear, please ask us here.

Good Sunday.

NOTE3: that could be great if you could change the title of this thread about: ethernet - SAM - connection -... inside for recover this thread the next time someone with the same problem arrive again thanks

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond Quote:
..Sadly I'll replace the Amiga with a normal pc something that will easier to set up

If you haven't seen the news already, the coming-very-soon OS4.1.1 free update will be much improved out of the box for new users like yourself. I really think you should hold off selling until you have at least tried it.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@diamond

In order to get the os4 cd working. Just insert it in the drive when the system has booted. There should pop up an icon shortly after. If thats not the case,there is a problem with either the drive or some kinda sw problem. The cd drive will automount. So if all is correctly set up put the os4 cd into the drive and cross your fingers.

BTW,did you try the recover the file suggestion i wrote about? Could make things much more easy for you,i think. Good look.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cyborg

Thank you for reply and info...can't seem to get that addy to load?...not to worry about the other types of computers after listening here I know there are knowledgeable people with good advice and solutions...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

I opened the OS4.1 partition (workbench) and then opened the Utilities drawer....I see many icons but no wizard? how or where do I find the wizard to proceed?

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 3 »