Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »
Re: Amiwest news
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mr2

Quote:
Let them rest in peace...
I think there are more important things, but its OT here...

Sure if you like to trash tons of games already released but it doesn't seems a smart decision if you ask me ..

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79

It is not a matter of liking or not but kind of hard choices.
...and many of them could be recompiled, right?

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Anonymous
@ssolie

Good news anyway. Way more then I expected, BUT ...

No offense Steven, but hardware is rolling and yet
SAM460 and X1000 are not fully supported on board level, not to mention that X1000 was supposed to be shipped with OS 4.2 and its hard to estimate will X2000 make it with OS 4.2 final (from what we users know).

If I also had control of money, would pay more full time developers to help development of TW, Libre, Warp3D, OS 4.2 ... that is crucial now. NTFS is great news anyway, as well all updates I see on AmigaUpdate. But I still have to boot to Mint to see full power of machine. And to use full productivity software beside hobby. So anu hardware is quite obsolete without good software.

AmiStore is great,but AEON can currently sell only Ubuntu and RadeonHD - and Libre in future. Hope Hyperion can put games there. I see on Hyperion website In Hyperion register product menu SHOGO and SIN exist with Linux options, but not Gorky 17. How can I buy those? Gorky 17 has demo on Ubuntu CD, but nowhere to be found full Linux PPC game. It has AmigaOS 4 screenshots in gallery.

Ubuntu 12.04 remix is modern, but slow envirovment and it will be great for faster CPU based X2000.
Even I paid it, I decided to kill it. Debian 7.2+Mint 11+LXDE can do about the same way faster.So creating more such fully supported Linuxes or assiging some dev boards to Debian teams, so really PPC64 distro go primary again, would be another strategy.

For 2014 - I hope all TW, Libre and OS 4.2 will be out.

And then maybe you could focus on games you have licences and make them work on both OS 4.1.6 and Linux PPC, and that should be WORMS, GORKY 17, SIN and already released ones.

How can we support you?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@samo79
Quote:
Don't know if Gallium is really almost done...

Oh? Perhaps you know something Hans-Joerg and I don't know?

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ssolie wrote:

"@328gts
No offense but It is pretty easy to sit back and say here the money could be spent when it is not your money.

There is also a chicken and egg problem here when it comes to Amiga hardware. Developers need to know there is a steady supply of new h/w and tech."

No offence taken; however, of course I understand the dilemna of our small market but we've got no problems anymore with new hardware thanks to ACube and A-Eon but we still can't showcase our brand new hardware to non-amigans because we are lacking software/drivers.

chicken-egg yes but we need a full chicken first to make the egg of course my 2 cents as a returning amigan.

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79, @ssoliem, @vox

Fair enough, it took (still takes) quiet a while until X1000 is/was fully supported speaking of Onboard Ethernet and Sound. And yes I exptected AOS 4.2 way earlier.

But
1) I guess you guys will perform better when new AmigaOne arrives.
2) AOS 4.2 will have more features than exptected (Did anybody say Gallium is part of AOS 4.2?)

Will multicore support be part of AOS 4.2, will multicore support be available as free update for X1000?

regards gerograph

Go to top
Anonymous
@ssolie

No, but surely you do know something we don`t.

As you have felt witb fake FB account and many times, being development team leader is one job, but being kind of only Hyperion spokesman puts you to a lot of light.

Why not having someone to deal with community (Hyperion PR) relations, not being developer team leader, and if I may say less sarccastic in answers. That would leave you more professional and free time and let you focus. Win-win.

Questions your users post are not jokes, they are concerns.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vox

Quote:
Why not having someone to deal with community (Hyperion PR) relations, not being developer team leader, and if I may say less sarccastic in answers. That would leave you more professional and free time and let you focus. Win-win.

Please, no. I'd much rather hear from the developer team lead and/or other people who actually know what's going on rather than some "PR person" whose job it is to say warm fuzzy things with a positive spin. Paying a PR professional would also just suck money away from making actual progress.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@mr2

Quote:
It is not a matter of liking or not but kind of hard choices.
...and many of them could be recompiled, right

Who recompile all of them ?
We have 10+ years of Warp3D's programs already out and running, a Warp3D compatibility still essential to mantain our entire software collection, that's it

Aniway at the end i'm quite sure we will have such support even because it is certainly in an advanced state of development

@ssolie

Quote:
Oh? Perhaps you know something Hans-Joerg and I don't know?

Of course no, I only asked for a confirmation because from the information I read I didn't understand, however If they say that i believe you

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@samo79
Quote:
Who recompile all of them ?
We have 10+ years of Warp3D's programs already out and running, a Warp3D compatibility still essential to mantain our entire software collection, that's it

Aniway at the end i'm quite sure we will have such support even because it is certainly in an advanced state of development

In theory, a Warp3D state tracker could be written for Gallium3D, which would provide backward compatibility. I hope that this will happen at some point, although that's probably a more distant prospect... Let's get Gallium3D itself done first, eh?

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Just for info, I know nothing about video, Gallium, Warp3D...

Is Gallium3D will make possible to watch video in full screen with overlay compatible video-player (mplayer) on HD cards ?

Is my Radeon9250 will be unplugged from my x1000 when AOS4.2 will come ?

Thank you by advance for your explanation.

Edited by zzd10h on 2013/10/20 23:55:12
Go to top
Anonymous
@Hans

Fair attitude, but what if such approach, mixed with sarcasm and simply locking the threads (instead of at least having some PR style "will do answer") drives more people away (not totally - just kills will to ask, comment ...) then it really provides a stable and constructive communication?

I am not talking about fancy PR girl, but let developers develop and one person be centralized with info and deals with blogs, websites and forums while taking input from all parties involved.

With Steven, frequent answers are "its Acube/AmigaKit/A-EON/free time project" "not in plan", "not a priority" "you might think you know something, but you don`t ..." and maybe I missed a few over the years.

That is defensively and defenetely not a constructive communication or information, and here in this thread is just an example. Someone just mentioned Gallium should be part of OS 4.2, which is official fact and that he expects OS 4.2 sooner rather then later.

Funny situation of other kind was when Trevor explained first why there will be no netbook and it took months to have it officially cancelled. Just as example. More coordination, proper info and less sarcasm to the users.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vox

Quote:
Fair attitude, but what if such approach, mixed with sarcasm and simply locking the threads (instead of at least having some PR style "will do answer") drives more people away (not totally - just kills will to ask, comment ...) then it really provides a stable and constructive communication?

To be brutally blunt, this is the result of certain people within this community treating developers as targets. Even the most diplomatic of individuals has their limits as to how much muck, FUD, and (destructive) criticism they can take before they hit back.

I experienced this personally when I started working on the Radeon HD driver. Suddenly, things started becoming my fault, my hard work wasn't good enough, my priorities were wrong, I was "doing it wrong" in some people's opinion.** There's a reason why I don't visit certain forums any more, and post much less than I used to. I'm not the only developer to do this either.

What I'm really getting at, is that communication is a two-way street. You want constructive two-way communication, then be constructive yourself. Also, be tolerant when someone else gets upset and responds angrily, sarcastically, or otherwise. We're all human; we all make mistakes; we all have bad days.

Quote:
Funny situation of other kind was when Trevor explained first why there will be no netbook and it took months to have it officially cancelled. Just as example. More coordination, proper info and less sarcasm to the users.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Steven had said this earlier (via IRC?), but people treated it as "unofficial" for some reason, or just missed it entirely.

Hans

** To balance this out, many people have been very supportive of the Radeon HD project, and have understood that it has taken a mammoth effort just to get this far. Those with overly negative views just tend to be much louder.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@zzd10h

Quote:
Is Gallium3D will make possible to watch video in full screen with overlay compatible video-player (mplayer) on HD cards ?

Not automatically, no. IIRC, there is a video decoding state tracker for Gallium3D, but using it requires using the video decoding API.

Likewise, when textured video is implemented (HW overlay is obsolete), video players will need to be updated to use it. Fortunately, that shouldn't be hard.

Hans

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vox

I do not want a PR person taking rubbish, like Bill McEwen and Fleecy Moss.

Garry Hare talked a lot of sense about where he hopped Amiga might go in the future but it did not happen, it does not build credibility over time if you do not deliver on your future ideas.

So its better to talk about what you can deliver and what you are doing, then what you hope to do.

The information provided was good, and Steven Solie can answer the questions, if there was some kind pin up girl there she want be able to answer the questions, anyway if you want watch sexy girls on tapis there are better places to look then AmiWest

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Anonymous
@Hans

I do understand its not easy being a public figure and in charge of any development, or doing something but patience and nerves are essential. As example, I waited few months for X1000 from day I have paid it. I am still waiting for Radeon HD to get 3D, but I dont complain its 2D only, I follow your advices, posts and expect it to be done.

Surely its a two way street. I always try to ask honest direct questions. Example here and in Hyperion support forum is status of Linux PPC games made by Hyperion, listed on their website. None. No answers. Dead as dudo. Not even Bill answering in PR style.

Last time several people asked can compatibility with older PPC games and apps answer was "Not a priority, thread locked". Not even idea how to get sources, bounty to port it or anything that would speed things up.

Should I mention I remember Hyperion promised Real3D,SIN and Worms and they have, to best of my knowledge, never been cancelled. Cloanto promised Amiga Forever AOS4 edition, but Amiga Inc didnt invest in it and Hyperion simply moved on.

So its better to talk about what you can deliver and what you are doing, then what you hope to do.

>The information provided was good, and Steven Solie can >answer the questions, if there was some kind pin up girl >there she want be able to answer the questions, anyway if >you want watch sexy girls on tapis there are better places >to look then AmiWest

Oh I do watch sexy girls, but can`t do it all day long.

I can PM, e-mail or publicly criticise Stevens attitude, but you see questions will NOT get really answered. I can stay night on IRC to wait for Steven to appear, but again result will be the same. In Hyperion forums too, support and information comes from users (beta testers, developers), not several of Hyperion representatives.
We simply dont get much answers, even what is possible and what is not, why things are delayed, and its bad.

In short, I learn much from Trevors presentations on Amiwest and very little from Stevens, even I do thing he is a great guy.

Its not again Steven personally, or as developer. There are great things done and will be greater things done yet. It is about two way street, and I do find it one way street from Hyperion. And not just because I ocassionally visit Moo Bunny and Amiga.org

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
In other words no big news , except one: new HW from Trevor. And while he prove to do things right i will try to apply to beta-test of Cyrus.

But sure, we have enough HW already, while SW side need to be improved by everything. And workbench itself should be done from scratch by someone new / full-time payed , and slow boot times, and ... and a lot of other stuff about which we discuss last 5 years, there can be pretty big list.

Someone says here about chickens and eggs, but its not like this anymore, we already have bunch of different HW which is still don't supported very well, taking aside don't optimized very well: slow boot times, many areas which need reconstruction, many components which need to be updated, some areas should be done from scratch (without making more code on top of it), and so on and so on for which need many man powers , new developers and what is important payed developers. Because free time ones are free time ones, and we just didn't have resources to make all of this in the OS. There should be cash injection, but its all again come to Ben .. :)

But still its good what Trevor do. And he looks like a man who keeps his word as well as have decent moral and ability to have common things with many (even strange and hard) persons. He didn't do false PR, he didn't make fuzze announcements which have no real ground. Wish everything and everyone involved will be like this someday ..

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@vox

I'm going to keep this brief, because this side-discussion is threatening to derail this thread. We're supposed to be talking about news from AmiWest.

Quote:
Surely its a two way street.

That's exactly what I said.

Quote:
I can PM, e-mail or publicly criticise Stevens attitude, but you see questions will NOT get really answered.

Publicly criticising or shaming someone is usually not a good approach to getting questions answered by them. Plus, sometimes you also need to accept that the answers that you get are not what you wanted to hear (e.g., "not a priority").

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Where can we download the Ubuntu Live DVD for X1000 ?

Go to top
Anonymous
@Hans @kas1e

This is discussion how Hyperion handle their own news,
in small OS4 centric forum of people that do care about OS4, where I do count myself. However, if it deteriorate the thread, I can move it to free for all.

Publicly ashaming someone? Well, it was done many times by such "no communication" (nuff said) approach even in Hyperion official forums. Its a stance "you are not beta tester/developer you are not entitled to ask". Also, game where questions are tossed to other company (Trevor sais its Hyperion thing when we will have OS 4.2 and SMP, Steven sais Hyperion is not supposed to do SAM drivers but Acube and so on and so on) is really getting silly.

You are good example of two way street. In my eyes Hyperion must improve.

Here, Steven sais "Chicken and egg". I agree with kas, we have enough chickens, focus on eggs

>** To balance this out, many people have been very >supportive of the Radeon HD project, and have understood >that it has taken a mammoth effort just to get this far. >Those with overly negative views just tend to be much >louder.

And so will always be. Someone will not be satisfied with news. I am very satisfied, and willing to bounty support any Hyperion work, if they need money to hire someone. Its crucial to speed software side.

But how can we do anything if we are left lurking in the dark?

I understand its very few developers and we must keep em, but as Kas1e says Trevor is great example how to behave and I say Hyperion still makes a great contrast, not a unity.

You see Steven reading all this, but don`t see any real answers. It happens on chat and would even if I went to Amiwest. Thats why I say Steven is great developer, but not suitable for two way street communication.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »