Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: What have you learned at the Anniversary?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@OldAmigan

Have not checked aors,but seems like they are a bit dependent on some cash flow aswell. And what happens when these won't spend more cash???

@thread

I'll be getting me one of the x1000. And i think the show was looking good from the clips i've seen.

About x86,the drivers will still be the big hurdle. As it is for us now. Porting to X86 won't magically give access to all cards in the whole world. But i have nothing against x86.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swisso

I agree, an excellent point- a retro event shows potential users current Amiga developments.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit

What is this talk on aw.net about 20% taxes???? Got lost on that one.

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

In the UK, VAT will go from 17.5% to 20% on 4th Jan 2011

It will not affect users outside the EU.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit

And people are complaining?

In no(r)way we have 25%.

Just enjoy it while it lasts One day it will get higher...sadly

But is it true that when buying things from england you can't exclude the taxes from the merchandise?

X5000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

When a Norwegian customer buys anything from our European webstore, 0% VAT is applied during Checkout. This is because Norway is outside the EU.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amigakit

But whn i ordered from germany, they took -19% vat on they equipment. And i had to add taxes here instead. Is that so from england aswell???

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Outcast

Quote:

Outcast wrote:
@ Thread

At the people calling the Marquee a tent, consider the following.

[...]

In many languages (mine is one of them), a tent (telt, Zelt, ...) can be both a small nylon or cotton thing used for hiking or camping, and a bigger one like what you British call a marquee. So you shouldn't necessarily take the use of the word as derogatory, it's just a matter of language differences.

As for frowning upon the use of said marquee instead of a hall or other indoors facility, I think there might also be some cultural differences to take into account. I know you British are very fond of usng such marquees for many varied events, also more "posh" ones. E.g. the Queen's tea parties, I believe? And I've also often seen them used for village f?tes and big manor parties etc. It's (more or less) a British thing, we don't use them quite as much in mainland Europe, especially not the northern parts. And that might also be part of the reason why some of us think "cheap" automatically.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

Quote:

Antique wrote:
@amigakit

But whn i ordered from germany, they took -19% vat on they equipment. And i had to add taxes here instead. Is that so from england aswell???

I think it depends on the store and their annual turnover. I believe if that is under a certain amount (maybe it is counted per country they export to?), they can choose to use their local tax rates like for domestic customers instead of exporting tax-free and having the customer pay his own country's tax. Or is it the other way around? Either way, of course this is only true for the EU plus associated countries (of which I believe Norway is one).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@nbache

Quote:

n many languages (mine is one of them), a tent (telt, Zelt, ...) can be both a small nylon or cotton thing used for hiking or camping, and a bigger one like what you British call a marquee. So you shouldn't necessarily take the use of the word as derogatory, it's just a matter of language differences.

As for frowning upon the use of said marquee instead of a hall or other indoors facility, I think there might also be some cultural differences to take into account.

well said... I didn't even know the word marquee until now. First off:

Nothing wrong with having a world premier of a computer in a marquee. Gives a bit of "back to the roots" touch/feeling + something totally different as everybody else would do... and, yes if the "Retro people" are your market that's more effective than any other computer fair. Just think/dream how would that sound: "The rebirth of a nowdays revolutionary computersystem actually happend during a small summertime gathering in a marquee during a vintage computer festival - History is the future..."

But is that enough ? Therefore I belive there is much more to come, and hopefully this is just an early first step. Maybe there is a bigger crowed in Essen, and more journalists get invited, more marketing is made beforehand.

Remember the show in Colmar ? This was more of what I think it should be. Having a proper presentation on a Beamer + showing of something (a kiosk system). Just my personal Opinion. I am just thinking how to attract as many people as possible outside of the communitiy.
Anyway I am happy that everthing works more or less out as promised, and I am looking forward to get one of those X1000 which "was not presented to the masses, just to an elitist community" (maybe this is much more clever than what apple does..)

greetings gerograph

Go to top
Anonymous
@gerograph

Kiosk System (Touchscreen OS 4.1) looked so nice I feel so ashemed this was dropped so fast. As well as some cheap PPC driven phone or PDA where OS 4.1 would be scaled to work on QVGA screen. But maybe these oportunities arise again, now when Hyperion is free to do their biddings.

About the x86 flame coming out of nowhere:

Well, Mac is a good show off that if software is good and easy, people dont care to look what is "in the box"

About the VAT thing: seems GB is not gonna be the only one in crisis world. In my country (Serbia) VAT increase is just announced, but hell a lot of other taxes and fees (like driving offenses) have gone x2, as well as 18% VAT + 10% extra tax (gross 28%) or any mobile communication (voice, SMS, MMS, 3G ...). So ... I would like to have a nice welfare state somwhere at 25%, but again, I feel its gonna be like in Macka B tune

About AW.net - nice Amigans site, but left due to moderation policies of not discussing the moderation policy. In pratice, quite harsh and non consistant. Seems once you get a moderator status, you are above the rules, knowledge and common sense. But that is my experience, and keep using AW.net if you like it. Good news is that they have driven me here.

About x86:

I have been using a Cyrix Pentium II clone since Classic Amiga died (Win95) and ended now having dual core Athlon, 2GB RAM, Ati All In Wonder card, Gigs of fast HDD ... everything I might dreamed of. Bad news is that
BIOS is still ugly, Windows is still slow, buggy and needs swap file and I dont see my 2x2GHz and 2GB RAM in reality. So over time I got feeling that x86 world is just consumerism in its glance: buy everything better often, but nothing is actually as good as it sais is. Is it drivers, Windows or the apps, judge by yourself.

In my honest opinion well optimized 700-800Mhz (just like SAM but with more optimized SW and real HW usage) is well enough for most of daily needs. Even renders and fancy stuff like DivX compression can wait overnight. So, I do not believe in big figures anymore.

Back to OS4:

New HW is good, new SW is better news to existing users and MUST to attract new.

So I expect something to be done there. I would even pay all Amiga HW extra 5% if I would know it goes for boards for good developers. Not everyone is to be one. I am not one, but would support them.

Go to top
Anonymous
@vox

I believe I forgot to add the tune

MACKA B- KILL YOU WITH TAX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbmzTnd4MxU

And for DUB LOVERS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmFYvGThVEo

Go to top
Anonymous
@amigakit

Serbia is soon to be a candidate country - in Europe, but not in EU now.

What happens when your order anything from EU more expensive then 20e, is that, yes you get VAT free out and then you get your country VAT + 40% (or so) import taxes.

So better be in

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki

Quote:
Lets get things into context, the VCF was always going to be attended by 'fanboys', geeks and old-farts masturbating over a Intellivision running Doom in glorious 2-colour.

I wonder why the Amiga community is so small when it has such a welcoming attitude.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:

Kiosk System (Touchscreen OS 4.1) looked so nice I feel so ashemed this was dropped so fast. As well as some cheap PPC driven phone or PDA where OS 4.1 would be scaled to work on QVGA screen. But maybe these oportunities arise again, now when Hyperion is free to do their biddings.

It wasn't really a case of dropping the "Kiosk" system, because it was never really adopted in any official capacity to start with. That Kiosk was a one-off display system put together purely for the Colmar show to highlight what "might" be possible. It was never intended to be anything else.

If system builders want to pick up on a particular monitor that has built-in touchscreen support, theres no reason why drivers cannot be written to take advantage of that. The biggest hurdle is the fact that all touchscreen units I have come across so far have been different in the way the USB stack interacts with it, so it's not as simple as writing one driver for all models.

The problem is not lack of software, but lack of someone deciding on a unit to build systems around.

Simon

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@amigacooke

Oh btw I was one of these ppl, except the last part. lol

Go to top
Anonymous
@Rigo

Thank you for clarification.

I know it`s not official, but then again, just 2 vidz on Tube and this demonstration. I hoped the Acube will pick it on too and see some potential.

I know driver was developed for this kiosk only.

And I remember A1200 used to become same kind of touchscreen kiosk at the end

This would be nice way of introducing embedded sys to
some people oriented use, as well as Touchscreen is defenetly the user interface of 21st century

Even big Win7 is now sold as "all in monitor" sys
which looks fancy to the desktops and takes much less space (loses expandibility, but then again its x86 world, tresh the old, buy the new)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

Yes VAT is removed during Checkout and you are billed at 0% VAT at our webstore.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache

Quote:

nbache wrote:
@Outcast

In many languages (mine is one of them), a tent (telt, Zelt, ...) can be both a small nylon or cotton thing used for hiking or camping, and a bigger one like what you British call a marquee. So you shouldn't necessarily take the use of the word as derogatory, it's just a matter of language differences.

Exactly. Neither Czech can distinguish between a tent and a marquee so for me, the event WAS held in a tent (And yes, I did attend the event.)

Quote:

As for frowning upon the use of said marquee instead of a hall or other indoors facility, I think there might also be some cultural differences to take into account.
we don't use them quite as much in mainland Europe, especially not the northern parts. And that might also be part of the reason why some of us think "cheap" automatically.

You described my feelings spot-on! An indoor venue was what I expected (especially as Saturday was very cold and windy over there in Bletchley) but I can understand cost was an issue. I enjoyed the party and don't regret coming.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
trixie wrote:

An indoor venue was what I expected (especially as Saturday was very cold and windy over there in Bletchley)

Sounds like a pleasant British Summer day to me

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »