Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »
Re: Linux Debian and Sam440EP
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@acefnq

i have downloaded the files that i need. They are ".deb " archives.. how to install them ?

Thanks for the help

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

dpkg -i <file>

If you need more information, 'man dpkg' is your friend.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre
Right click on the and select open with and find Kpackage. This will install them easily for you. Of course I am assuming you are running KDE.

Cheers
ace

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Ok thanks to everyone helped me

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@acefnq

I have installed KDE and it works better than gnome or lxde !, the desktop is more reactive and here is really fast

i have only one problem using linux.. i am not able to watch dvd or dvx.. for some reason here vlc doesn't work.. any ideas ?

Thanks

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

firstly are you running as "root" or as I user. VLC does not like being run by root. Secondly log in as root and go to System - User and Groups, check the properties of both root and your normal user name, you may need to tick some of the permissions (I tick them all).

Thirdly go to the Mplayer download page and download the PPC codecs and put them in a dir called /usr/lib/win32. I also downlaoaded and installed xine (apt-get install xine-ui).

Fourthly you may need to check the settings in vlc to ensure it points to you cdrom/dvd. I found xine better for playing dvd.

NOW be careful I have had heaps of crashes when trying to play flv and other media. 9 out of 10 of these crashes has non-recoverable causing segmentation faults across an array of software. I will not use the Linux side for playing video media only mp3 until this issue becomes more stabalised, remember it is an experimental kernel.

cheers
ace

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@acefnq

Thanks i'll keep in mind all these informations, thank your for your time and your help

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Dwyloc
Quote:

Dwyloc wrote:
@TrevorDick
Thats normal you have now installed Debian Linux fine by the sound of things on your sam

Now you just need to install the new boot loader on acubes website so you get a boot menu with both linux and AOS4 in it.

The boot loader is called "parthenope" and can be downloaded from acubes website and installed with hdtoolbox under OS4.

Its the new boot loader that has been giving me the slow OS4 boot issue so I have unistalled it at the moment and only install it when I want to use Linux. As not everyone is having problems with it it may just work without slowing down the loading of the OS4 kernel and modules like it dose for me.

It slows down here too.. with parthenope it takes almost 1 minute to load the kickstart modules!

Sam440Flex 800mhz 1gb ram, WB is on 1st partition and SFS0, SWAP, then Linux partition (with no linux installed yet)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Amigo1

in OS 4.1.1, there will be the new SLB which can load both OS4 and Linux

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

How did it all go. I have Deb5 running fine but I will not push it anymore on SAM. Think of what you may need Linux for on your SAM (printing may be one), use AOS4x for multimedia and SAM for printing by saving to a usb stick, of course we need to wait for a better usb experience on SAM/AOS but it will come.

It is amazing the differences in the 2 OS', give AOS a little more time and the differences will be much more tangible and rewarding.

ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

Great!! thx!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@acefnq

here everything is ok, i have still to try to install the dvx codecs for ppc but for all the rest is ok !.. Never tried to print but i thinks there should be no problems at all

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It is ok also for the printer, i have just printed an example file about amiga os 4.0 and reaction is very handy to have the possibility to print directly on sam wihout the needed to change computer.. all in one

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@acefnq

A question if I may. I have a SAM, Linux has a program which is not yet available on AOS4. which will do nicely in the meantime. It needs to be complied from the sources. It requires GCC. My question is there a perfered version of GCC (Maybe PowerPC) to use with the Sam. A link would be great if such is the case. I am looking for .deb extension. This is my first excursion into Linux.

With Thanks,

Go to top
Linux Debian and Sam440EP
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

Don't quote me as I am no expert in these areas (perhaps ktadd can comment) but I think ffmpeg provides divx playback.

Add these to your /etc/apt/sources.list (one or all then apt-get update)

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org stable main
deb ftp://ftp.debian-multimedia.org stable main

Also ensure you install xine-ui and libdvdcss2 (if it is legal in your country).

If you want to try and RIP DVDs then try installing k9copy.

Good to hear printing is fine. I have found printing and scanning (use libsane, xsane or kooka) so simple under Debian (and Ubuntu on my high end PC), much more so than under Windows.

@Cara
Type apt-get install gcc in a terminal and it will install for you so long as you are root, or try sudo apt-get install gcc. Do this in a terminal and it will suggest some other packages to install which may be useful to you, many are doc or help files but some other tools as well.

What package are you after? There is a good chance it will not work on PPC if it does not already exist.

Hope this helps.

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@acefnq

The package I wish to complile is GTK-Pod, My Sam is not online at present, I am using a usb stick to transfer files I need from a laptop to the Sam. Plan was to trasfer the files in this way and edit the sources list in Linux and install that way.

Tnks for your reply.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cara

Good news, no need to recompile the package is available.

apt-get install gtkpod, there are some additional suggested packages too.

cheers
ace

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Right now I am ripping a dvd to divx using k9copy under linux. How will it go, I am not sure and yes it will take hours but I am still getting a chuckle out of it.
The surprising thing is that it my SAM is not slowing down with other programs running (like Opera or Thunderbird). Good fun.

ace

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@acefnq

Yes, that is good news, very good. Will install on weekend.

Thank you for your assistance.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
On Acube site, there is a guide that explain how to install Debian and Amiga OS 4.1 Update both on the same hard disk for Sam and Sam-Flex board

http://www.acube-systems.biz/

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »