Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
NetSurf 2.5
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Following a tip on amigaworld that NetSurf 2.5 was released, I have downloaded and installed it on my MicroA1. Currently using the graphics.library static build with the default ("native") theme.

I received a GR with DSI error during install (I chose to install the static graphics.library version with default theme).

However, NetSurf 2.5 seemed to work fine after that.

I found later that I had to manually move the SObjs files from the archive into my system SObjs drawer. I will also check for the other files.

First impressions ....

Working great on amigaworld and amigans, have not visited other sites yet.

Thanks to Chris Young.

---
redfox

Go to top
Re: NetSurf 2.5
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@all
There will be a proper announcement of this release in due course.

@redfox
That will be because the SObjs aren't needed for the static linked version.

It is safe to "Ignore DSI Errors" on the Installer at the point it crashes (I think it is the textfile command, but I can't find a reproduceable test case in order to report it properly). It is probably wise to reboot after the install just in case it has trashed memory though.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

Exellent ! Excepting the lack of JS, NetSurf has become a true challenger in the browser world for AmigaOS.

@All

If you are under AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1, I think it's better to use the Cairon graphic system instead of graphics.library (except if you are very low on video memory of course).

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Thanks for the quick reply. I have several versions of NetSurf on my DH1: (stuff) partition including NetSurf 3.0 (Development) SVN 9563 (12.09.2009). I couldn't remember if I had tried NetSurf 3.0 since I installed AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1, so I wasn't sure if the NetSurf 2.5 installer found something unexpected in one of the common system directories on my main system partiion.

In any case the graphics.library version of NetSurf 2.5 works fine so far on my MicroA1. The MicroA1 has only 32MB of VRAM, so is somewhat limited when full compositing transparency is running.

I will try some other sites.

Thanks,
redfox

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@redfox
[Quote]In any case the graphics.library version of NetSurf 2.5 works fine so far on my MicroA1. [/Quote]

I'm running both Cairo and plain simultaneously at the moment. I can't see any difference. Well, I take that back--I clicked on the "plain" version, but "Project > About..." says both of them are "Part-Cairo (OS4.1+) SObjs build"! Was in Himmel?

I couldn't get "Quote" to work while writing this reply. Maybe "Preview" and "Submit" won't work either? We shall see...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@redfox
[Quote]In any case the graphics.library version of NetSurf 2.5 works fine so far on my MicroA1. [/Quote]

I'm running both Cairo and plain simultaneously at the moment. I can't see any difference. Well, I take that back--I clicked on the "plain" version, but "Project > About..." says both of them are "Part-Cairo (OS4.1+) SObjs build"! Was in Himmel?

I couldn't get "Quote" to work while writing this reply. Maybe "Preview" and "Submit" won't work either? We shall see...

"Preview" didn't, but "Submit" did.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@redfox

I downloaded from
http://www.netsurf-browser.org/downloads/amiga/

trying to install i get the error 'resutlstring too long in line 231'
How can this be overcome?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kilaueabart

er its quote all lower case you have it as Quote

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris Quote:
It is safe to "Ignore DSI Errors" on the Installer at the point it crashes

I can't do that, it is a total app crash, and also OS4 becomes very unstable.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@JosDuchIt
Quote:
trying to install i get the error 'resutlstring too long in line 231'
How can this be overcome?

Try selecting a shorter path to install it to.

@kilaueabart
Quote:
I'm running both Cairo and plain simultaneously at the moment. I can't see any difference.

You can't do that If you try to run NetSurf twice it just signals the first instance to open up a new window.

The quote button won't work as it needs JavaScript.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Can you install it with a log file, and send me the log up to the point it crashes?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
My mistake, seems that telling it to Ignore *all* DSIs allows it to finish. I only tried ignoring a couple, and killing it caused OS4 instability.

But I will still send logs up to the first point of crash.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris

thx for this new release !

for me I can not install it on AOS4.1 u1 because so far it always triggers DSI error at 30% which can not be bypassed (Crash log for task "Installer"
Generated by GrimReaper 53.2
Crash occured in module newlib.library.kmod at address 0x0165B378
Type of crash: DSI (Data Storage Interrupt) exception)

tried cairo and default theme
tried graphics and default theme
tried cairo and aiss

EDIT: under AOS4.1, the installation process went fine.

Edited by Lio on 2010/4/25 12:57:16
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I tried both cairo and graphics.library versions and both works fine with my sam and OS4.1 update 1. The installation, too. I used the newer Sobjs including the NetSurf archive. The version 3.0 development seems doesn't work with this files.
NetSurf 2.5 looks good and has nice features, but the pdf export function doesn't work (with 3.0 dev it worked). And I hate the commercial banners, that NetSurf seems to display in a seperate window (like at amazon.de and gmx.de). Can I configure this? Normally this commercial banners are displayed into the page and not in an extra window.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@gurus2000

PDF export is disabled (except due to a bug, the menu option is still available even though when it shouldn't be).

To get rid of the banners, open Resources/Options and add/change the following line:
no_iframes:1

And, yes, the older 3.0dev won't work with the newer SObjs, due to the beta status of libcss at the time. If you want to be able to run both, copy the old libcss.so.0 and libwapcaplet.so.0 into the directory containing the old executable.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@redfox

thanks Netsurf Team ! so far very stable on my Samflex, faster loading/scrolling than OWB..gotta check the download manager now but so far very impressed

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Chris

I do get the error before i can even choose where to install
it

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It crashed when trying to run both versions simultaneously. Separately they both work fine.

I installed Netsurf manually and didn't use the installer script (on existing installation). (Didn't copy any sobjs to a system partition.)

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Odd. Can you try expert mode if that's not what you're using?

Also check the version of Installer, if "About" mentions Hyperion it should be ok.

@328gts

"Downoad Manager" is a bit of a grand term for something which equates to a progress bar and abort button

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

Quote:

@kilaueabart

er its quote all lower case you have it as Quote

But you knew what I meant, I bet. Doesn't much matter how one types it.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »