Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 51

balaton, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Forum and Norwegian characters
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hi,i've got a problem when using ib 2.4 and a norwegian bmw forum. When i write my text it works with norwegian characters ???,but when posted they're left out. I was suggested to set encoding language to iso-8859-1. Is there a way to do that on the amiga???

Go to top
Re: Forum and Norwegian characters
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Can you post a URL? IBrowse currently does no charset mapping when posting form content, assuming the posted content to be the same charset as the page - IIRC, servers assume that too.

The exception is pages using utf-8 encoding, in which case IBrowse then assumes you are using iso-8859-1/windows-1252 and utf-8 encodes the form input accordingly. I must say I only vaguely remember implementing this, and I don't remember exactly why . I would have thought it was done with a test case in mind, but maybe there is something wrong there.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Futaura

http://www.bmwCCN.no/nor/kapittel3/fora/melding.aspx?Id=353048

The page these chars are discussed.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique
As one of the posters there says, the problem is probably created by Opera.

And you can tell that Lars-Inge fella, that he's out on a limb claiming that AmigaOS has always had problems with Norwegian characters. Classic AmigaOS has always used ISO-8859-1 and only that; only with OS4 has it become possible to change the system charset at all. Well, unless you were using third-party "solutions" (hacks), that is.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't understand the discussion, but I managed to find the preview button

I can see the problem now. The page is utf-8, and therefore form data should be encoded to utf-8 also. I said before that IBrowse 2.4 already does this, but I have just realized it doesn't for multipart form data, unfortunately. An oversight on my part. Anyway, it's fixed for the next release, and I can confirm that the site referenced is now working.

BTW, I guess it could be argued that the site is a little silly to use utf-8 if the text is all iso-8859-1 anyway, which is pointless, thus wasting some bandwidth. Reminds me of certain UK shopping sites that use(d) utf-8, when the only utf-8 encoded chars tended to be the pound sign. Obviously, this didn't look too nice in IBrowse 2.3.

Interestingly, I noticed that <textarea> line breaks are not converted to CRLFs for multipart form data, unlike for regular forms, so I've fixed that too, although on the most part this probably doesn't matter too much except for dodgy webservers.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Futaura

Thank you.

Go to top

Register To Post