Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Step by step - SFS (and a USB-question)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
As you may have noticed I been asking a lot of questions lately. I just gotten back to using my Amiga, so I hope that you will help me with some more questions

I have been thinking about converting my program partition into SFS. At the moment both my Workbench and Work partitions are FFS2.

1. Is it possible to backup my Work: content, then change the settings for just that partition in Media Toolbox?

2. Then do a quick format and copy all drawers and files back in their old place on my new SFS partition?

3. And can I use a FFS2 Workbench along with a SFS Work without any trouble?

Oh, and on a completely different matter. When I try to open the USB prefs I get a grim reaper everytime. Just me?

The USB ports are working perfectly so I discovered this by chance.

MicroA1 - 800Mhz G3, 512MB
A1200 - 50Mhz 030, 16MB
CD32
Go to top
Re: Step by step - SFS (and a USB-question)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Skov

Quote:
1. Is it possible to backup my Work: content, then change the settings for just that partition in Media Toolbox?

2. Then do a quick format and copy all drawers and files back in their old place on my new SFS partition?

Yes, that's the migration procedure. The only one. Backup, change, reboot, format, restore. One or more partitions at a time.

Quote:
3. And can I use a FFS2 Workbench along with a SFS Work without any trouble?

Yes, each partition has its own file system settings.

Quote:
When I try to open the USB prefs I get a grim reaper everytime. Just me?

I don't know if it's just you. But in the prefs you can only change the debug level anyway, so it's not so important.

Bye,
Thomas

Go to top
Re: Step by step - SFS (and a USB-question)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@thomas

May I add: Be absolutely sure you only change the filesystem type and blocksize (with SFS it should be set to 512) etc., and absolutely not anything about starting or ending block numbers or size; if you do something that changes the size of the partition, you will likely lose also the data on one or both neighbouring partitions.

Media Toolbox is normally quite good at telling you exactly what you risk by saving the new layout, but it's still a good idea to make sure you know what to expect.

And remember that although SFS doesn't often get into trouble, once it does, you don't have the same repair tools as with FFS, so make sure to always have recent backups of any vital data, as always, but even more so with SFS.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post