Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

YAM2.8 stable : In sight?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I have reverted to 2.7 because i was not able to install the latest 2.8dev properly: the whole system froze during the loading of the interface. This was the case with at least 3 successive ,nightly builds. It may be correlated with thenew 'resources' drawer that appeared. If any i did miss instructions about this.

I was not able to use the Yam forum too : login did not work (some error message about certificates not OK)

Now 2.7 still has the annoying bug i reported about (and as taken care of in the 2.8dev) that messages saved in "outgoing" folder could not be send later.
Any view on when 2.8 stable could be released?

Go to top
Re: YAM2.8 stable : In sight?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
the whole system froze during the loading of the interface. This was the case with at least 3 successive ,nightly builds. It may be correlated with thenew 'resources' drawer that appeared. If any i did miss instructions about this.

Many thanks for not reporting this issue

Well, how to handle a new drawer? Just copy it over as it is. There is no magic out that.

You really need to report bugs, otherwise they won't get fixed. We don't have a crystal ball nor do we have mind reading capabilities to know about bugs even before someone has told us about them.

I know you already reported a crash when using certain files from an older installation within a completely different scope. But the point is that until today you did not tell us which files exactly may cause the crash/lockup. So how can you expect us to fix this issue if you don't deliver any facts?

Quote:
I was not able to use the Yam forum too : login did not work (some error message about certificates not OK)

This is because Jens uses a self-signed certificate instead of an officially signed certificate. These are way too expensive.
Firefox is able to add an exception for such certificates. For MUIOWB you just have to switch off SSL error handling.

And even if logging in is still impossible for whatever reason, there is still the possibility to reach us via EMail. This also applies for bug reports.

Quote:
Now 2.7 still has the annoying bug i reported about (and as taken care of in the 2.8dev) that messages saved in "outgoing" folder could not be send later.
Any view on when 2.8 stable could be released?

When it's done: YAM 2.8 roadmap. We are not really hiding our plans. And this information is visible even without having to log in...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
> the whole system froze during the loading of the interface.

I have exactly the same problem, since late July. I have no idea at all why it happens. Here on A1XE.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
I have exactly the same problem, since late July. I have no idea at all why it happens. Here on A1XE.

Same answer for you: <sarcasm>thanks for NOT reporting such facts.</sarcasm>

How often do we have to repeat that there is a bugtracker for YAM for exactly this purpose?

As long as we don't get more details the problem will remain as it is. Without information from your side we cannot search for bugs we don't encounter outselves.

Can you narrow down the coarse time window "late July" to an exact date when the issue arised for the first time so that we are able to narrow down the search for the bug to a limited amount of changes done? The recent nightly builds of are available here.

And finally once again: PLEASE use the bugtracker and PLEASE report the bug after logging in as it is quite hard to get an answer for from person "anonymous" if we have further questions to ask. This slows down fixing the bug considerably. Be as verbose as possible. Simple reports like "it crashes" or "it doesn't work" don't help anybody.

We cannot help you if you don't report the bugs. And this is best done on the bugtracker instead of any public forum. We cannot be present in each and every forum just to search for the slightest hint of a probable issue.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tboeckel

The bug i reported was handled correctly and was fixed in successive 2.8dev versions. I guess the info given was sufficient to fix it. So thanks for that and all the hard work. My question to know when a stable YAM with this fixed could come out was in no way intended as to be some negative remark.

The freezing however now of the whole system gave me no clue at all to report.

Of course i did the obvious thing: to copy the 'resources' drawer.
But for completeness, i mentioned that i might have missed, maybe, (not having downloaded all nightly builds) some instructions.
Since there was a subdrawer 'themes' i copied that also over the existing themes drawer. I guess that if 2.8dev worked ok with the first it wouldn't mind having the same info twice.

As i still needed to have a working YAM i first reverted to older nightly builds
which worked and hoped that when newer came out the problem would have been solved. At some moment that one was not accepted any more
These are the versions i still have in that YAM install
YAM 2302084 ----rwed 24-dec-11 21:23:40
YAM13.8 12785285 ----rwed maandag 00:02:03
YAM13.7 2379024 ----rwed 13-jul-12 00:01:24
YAM8.8 2376892 ----rwed woensdag 00:01:27
YAM__ 2381552 ----rwed 29-jul-12 00:01:22
I guess it may have been the 13 july or 29 july version that
still was OK

What i did then was start a new YAM2.7 install with all my .config etc files, and then copying over the latest 13.8 nightly build.
I had to sort out a 'themes' problem, and also the problem reported in another thread of the folders pointing to my previous install (solved with explicitly using MAILDIR as tooltype or option, pointing to the new install, but still not knowing why this happened in the first place)

That's really all i can come up with today,
i would gladly report more however : Please tell me what to check

Edited by JosDuchIt on 2012/8/15 19:59:37
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tboeckel
Quote:

And finally once again: PLEASE use the bugtracker and PLEASE report the bug after logging in as it is quite hard to get an answer for from person "anonymous" if we have further questions to ask. This slows down fixing the bug considerably. Be as verbose as possible. Simple reports like "it crashes" or "it doesn't work" don't help anybody.

In the past i indeed sinned a number of times logging in as "anonymous"
Please be aware that this was never intentional. You might consider that people make mistakes. Reporting a bug is not that simple. Often you start, loggin in correctly, writing down what you have seen, have some doubts, go back to the problem, get a crash, go back to the bugtracker, and then, thinking you are still logged in, end up sending something anynomously. That is what happened to me.

I wonder however why the site offers this possibility, as it is obviously important to know who is reprting the bug.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tboeckel

Sorry if I didn't report it. I remember that one day the new version gave me that problem, so I reverted to one some days older, as I noticed that such problems disappeared quickly. Then I went on holidays and I reverted yesterday finding that the older version stopped working, so I downloaded the latest one and stupidily enough I overwrote the older one.
The system doesn't freeze, but the processor goes to 100% and nothing happens.
I can't report any bug, then I don't know how to say more useful things. Please, don't take it bad, I respect your wonderful work!

Thanks,

Luca

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Now, I did some experiments. The last working version is the one dated 16 july (I have to change the system-time in order to use it).
BUT, if I install more recents copies over it AFTER having used it once, the more recent versions WORK. BUT if I reboot, they stop working.
I jump to the conclusion, that the working version calls for some function that stays resident in memory and still works for the other versions who dont call for it anymore, because they find it already in memory, but if I reboot, they don't find it anymore and load a not working version instead.
That's all I can say

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
In the past i indeed sinned a number of times logging in as "anonymous"
Please be aware that this was never intentional. You might consider that people make mistakes. Reporting a bug is not that simple. Often you start, loggin in correctly, writing down what you have seen, have some doubts, go back to the problem, get a crash, go back to the bugtracker, and then, thinking you are still logged in, end up sending something anynomously. That is what happened to me.

I never said that anonymous reports and replies are intentional.

Anonymous replies a not that bad, but anonymous reports are. The problem is that even if you reply non-anonymously later you still get no notification when someone else asks a question.

And then, when you try to open a new ticket without having logged in before the very first line of the page says
Quote:
New tickets you submit will be routed for moderation. If you have an account, please log in first.

So you are even notified about this fact.

Quote:
I wonder however why the site offers this possibility, as it is obviously important to know who is reprting the bug.

Because some (many?) people are scared when they are asked to tell who they are. I really don't know why as we do not eat little children or something similar. But since we are interested in getting as many bugs fixed as possible we still allow anonymous reports. This allowes even these scared people let us know about bugs they found. Remember: a bug that is never reported is unlikely to be fixed.

But usually we need to ask further questions about a bug, and this becomes much easier if the bug was reported non-anonymously, because in this case the reporter gets a notification EMail and does not have to check manually for any progress about the report.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
The freezing however now of the whole system gave me no clue at all to report.

But exactly this is the point. You are annyoed by the freeze and switch back to an older version without telling anything about the issue. How can expect us to fix this bug if we don't know about it?

Quote:
As i still needed to have a working YAM i first reverted to older nightly builds
which worked and hoped that when newer came out the problem would have been solved.

Yes, this is the main problem with many people. They just hope that the bugs they don't report will be fixed magically within the next days. But how? If the developers neither do have this problem nor do know about it then they will not fix it. As a consequence YAM (or any other buggy application) gets a bad reputation as certain individuals at some time start to spread the news that the developers don't fix bugs and just make things worse. Really great!

Quote:
That's really all i can come up with today,
i would gladly report more however : Please tell me what to check

If YAM is freezing at some point then we need an "@all,all" log to find out where it freezes exactly. There is already ticket #346 for this bug. Please refer to this ticket for details and further replies. And please remember to log in before you reply anthing to make things easier for all of us.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
The freezing issue is fixed in the next nightly build. Thanks to Ricossa for his log which revealed the cause.

Why stop it now, just when I am hating it?

Thore Böckelmann
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@tboeckel

For what it count i consider YAM one of the most stable and well tested programs ever, this mostly thanks to all the excellent website tools you have made ​​available, also the majority of the bugs are generally resolved quite quickly and you or damato are more or less always availible via mail or tracker..

So i really don't understand why people do not use this tools, sometimes i fell that many Amigans have an old way of thinking, really ..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tboeckel
Danke, prima!

@Samo
You know, I actualli AM oldish (on Amiga since '90)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Ricossa

I'm an old user aswell (1989)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information