Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
43 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 43

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 »
Re: Quake 3 HELP
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

Quote:

nubechecorre wrote:
@ikir

We need good 3d driver, we need 3d libraries and we need quake 3 and it must be rewritten.. not a quick and dirty port..

Hope that 3D did good progress ... hope that the Friedens could make something..

Hope...

The 3D drivers are up to the task of running Quake 3, and MiniGL has everything needed for Quake 3 as well..

The problem is that no one ever took the source code and looked at it. They rather write mails to Thomas or me asking for the job to be done.

So I am sorry to say, we don't need anything but some programmer that takes care of it. All we get is complaints.

THAT seems to be the major problem to me.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Antique

Quote:

this is where i have quake3.
Progs:quake3/baseq3

Reading the documentation is definitely a good idea: It says:

Unpack Quake 3 data files to a directoy (say, dh1:games/Quake3), and extract the archive there.
(As a reference, the quake3 binary should be in the same directory as the "baseq3" directory).

Note: quake3 binary should be in the same directory as the baseq3 directory, NOT IN the baseq3 directory...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ikir

Quote:

Anyway Q3 for OS4 crash and freeze your machine after a random time. It happes to the majority of users i dn't know if it is a Q3 issue or Warp3D one.

Strange, this didn't happen for me, I could play it for over an hour without problem.

How much memory do you have ? Anything that eats up memory, like, for example, something that generates a big log file in t: ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @tfrieden

Strange, this didn't happen for me, I could play it for over an hour without problem.

May I ask what video card you are using?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:
May I ask what video card you are using?

First Voodoo 5, now a Radeon 7200

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
anyone that could remake the porting for Quake 3 ??

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nubechecorre

Quote:

nubechecorre wrote:
anyone that could remake the porting for Quake 3 ??

Go ahead

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nubechecorre

Exactly what is needed... more people asking for something.

Why is it that everybody seems to want and nobody seems to make?

And before you say "I cannot program": If you don't then try to encourage the people that can instead of just asking and demanding. Offer a bounty for example.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique

Does Quake 3 works better on OS 4.0 Final July update than on previous versions?
Anyway I don't know that there is a dir called baseq3 on my
quake 3 dir it doesn't exist.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Sound like you did not copy the PC data files in correctly then,

I think you need unpack the data files.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MamePPCA1

In your quake 3 directory you need a directory called baseQ3 which contains all the data files. Where have you put all the data files??
Not sure about how it works compared to different os updates,just checked that it worked.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Antique
I have adirectory called Quake3UT (Urban Terror).
Now I changed the files to baseQ3 and the result is the same except the HD now makes noise and the memory slow down.
Any tricks?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
How to get Quake 3 running:

1. Buy Quake 3 Arena
2. Install it on a PC
3. Download Point Release 1.32 patch for Quake 3, install it in the dir you installed Quake3 in. Note: this patch should be around 27mb in size.
4. Copy the whole installed+patched Quake3 dir to your A1
5. Extract the quake3.lha os4 archive to the Quake3 directory. It should be in the root level of the Quake install (NOT in the baseq3/ subdirectory)
6. Edit "q3" and change the path text to where you've copied Quake3 to on your hard drive

All done! to launch quake3, execute the "q3" script.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@MamePPCA1

Quote:
I have adirectory called Quake3UT (Urban Terror).
Now I changed the files to baseQ3 and the result is the same except the HD now makes noise and the memory slow down.

Can you PLEASE re-read what I wrote before ? I said the quake3 binary must be in the same directory as the baseq3 directory. The latter comes from the Quake 3 install CD. You CAN NOT simply rename a random directory to baseq3 and expect that it works...

jahc's description is very accurate, if you do it like this, you should be fine. For a full reference, I've copied a listing of my Quake 3 directory here:

dh2:Games/quake3 contains this:

Quote:

Directory "quake3" on Thursday 11-Oct-07
q3 104 -s--rw-d 27-Apr-07 12:43:40
baseq3 Dir ----rwed 18-Apr-07 20:35:37
.q3a Dir ----rwed 25-Jul-07 21:51:21
q3.info 2111 ----rwed 18-Apr-07 20:34:03
quake3 4871204 ----rwed 18-Apr-07 20:32:55
README 1048 ----rwed 18-Apr-07 20:31:47

baseq3 contains this:

Quote:

Directory "baseq3" on Thursday 11-Oct-07
pak0.pk3 479493658 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:36:49
q3key 167 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:35:37
pak1.pk3 374405 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:35:37
pak2.pk3 7511182 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:35:37
pak3.pk3 276305 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:35:36
pak4.pk3 9600350 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:35:36
pak5.pk3 191872 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:35:34
pak6.pk3 7346884 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:35:34
pak7.pk3 320873 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:35:33
pak8.pk3 454478 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:35:33
q3config.cfg 6759 ----rw-d 18-Apr-07 20:35:33

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tfriedens

What do you mean with " go ahead " ?..

@Rogue
Quote:

@nubechecorre

Exactly what is needed... more people asking for something.

Why is it that everybody seems to want and nobody seems to make?

And before you say "I cannot program": If you don't then try to encourage the people that can instead of just asking and demanding. Offer a bounty for example.

Sorry i dont' understand what you are saying..

there is a little difference from someone who kindly ask for something and from someone who expect it..

I DO NOT expect anything i had only asked if someone could ( and repeat COULD ) take up the job of re-porting a game that is desired from the amiga community..

Quote:

Offer a bounty for example.

I have always supported the amiga community/market and if you check my account in Hyperion Portal you can see that i have registered ALL the games that you ported to the amiga, so i am ready right now to pay for an amiga version of QUAKE III
The Engine is GPl right ? like Quake II ?..

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Isn't there a way to do a demo so you can see how fast it is,how many fps you get on your system?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Antique

on quake 1 if you open the console with the " TAB " key and enter the command " timerefresh " the game calculates the average frames per second of your machine...

i don't know if it works also for quake 3.. give it a try

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rogue & tfrieden

Yes i know, you have done already a lot!

I'm just saying that it could be a driver issue as well, since some users experiencing the problem and other not.

There is a guy working on it but he doesn't have an OS4 capable machine, i'm sure when OS4 will be released with some hardware, he will work on a fixed port.

BTW i had a Radeon 9250 64bit, before a radeon 9200SE, same problem. I don' have anything, it happens with a clean OS4 installation and i usually don't install anything strane on my sistem. I had 512MB, since i don't have my A1 anymore i can't test anything now.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

From the console
/timedemo 1
/demo four

When it finish, bring down the console again and check average fps.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ikir

Quote:

ikir wrote:
@Rogue & tfrieden

Yes i know, you have done already a lot!

I'm just saying that it could be a driver issue as well, since some users experiencing the problem and other not.

"It could be"... It could be cosmic rays as well. As long as nobody tries to find out what it is, even IF it is a driver issue, nothing is going to happen. Simple as that. As long as nobody can point me to a problem in a driver I am not going to look at them.

It does not solve the basic problem anyway - too many people complain, too little people try to do anything about it. I am not going to go through the work of trying to fix a driver issue that might not be a driver issue to begin with.

Quote:
There is a guy working on it but he doesn't have an OS4 capable machine, i'm sure when OS4 will be released with some hardware, he will work on a fixed port.

Yeah, that is also often quoted as a problem, but there *are* people out there with OS 4 capable hardware, and still all I see is mostly complains and very little action.

Quote:
BTW i had a Radeon 9250 64bit, before a radeon 9200SE, same problem. I don' have anything, it happens with a clean OS4 installation and i usually don't install anything strane on my sistem. I had 512MB, since i don't have my A1 anymore i can't test anything now.

Even that does not "prove" anything. If the problem only occurs on R200-hardware, that might be a driver issue. As soon as it occurs on Voodoo and/or R100-hardware, it is very unlikely that it is a driver issue.

But again, *I* am not going to look at Quake 3 anymore. If someone else does it, fine. If someone needs access to the latest MiniGL, write me a private mail. But unless someone actually DOES something other than complain about it, nothing is going to happen, and sorry, I have my hands full.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 »