Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Supporting the Amiga platform
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello all,

New to the forum here at Amigans, other forums I have visited are so negative about the future and the past of the Amiga, but this does appear not to be the case here after reading member's posts for the last few months I feel this forum represents what it is to be an Amiga user even if I am not one currently myself I would like to be one in the future and I read so much negativity elsewhere its quite depressing. Amigans appears to be a breathe of fresh air and I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone that is so hopeful of the future and spurring development. Keep up the good work.

Now down to business. I'd like to propose a greater connection between the efforts of Hyperion/A-Eon in their release of the A1-X1000 and the greater community. So how do we exactly grow this connection?

Well the project is staring at us in the face - the launch of the A1-X1000. First off A-Eon's website - yes I know its 'temporary' in nature at the moment, but I'd like to see Hyperion/A-Eon and Amigans' members come together to make www.a-eon.com something to inspire and be proud in terms of look, content and the message it aims to deliver.

(So you haven't given us any details yet?)

I'm getting around to it give me a chance! Within the Amiga community there is a great wealth of programming and artistic talent that can be drawn open to make the website a great place to visit. PC has www.microsoft.com, Mac has www.apple.com - Amiga has www.a-eon.com. Apple has come great community areas of their website which promote the platform and give their users a sense of belonging.

Here is my proposal.

Amigans and the wider community should get involved in the following 'competitions' in co-operation with Hyperion/A-Eon:

* Design a skin/layout for the A-Eon site
* Design a corporate video or animation (possibly 3D) of the A-Eon logo
* Design a video/presentation that shows the best strengths of the Amiga
* Design a standard Icon Set / workbench theme for a future OS Release
* Design a screen saver
* Design a workbench background image

The community is invited to submit there entries prior to the launch of the A1-X1000. Now this can work one of two ways, the community votes for their favourite in each category or Hyperion selects the winners and presents all entries on their website.

Thoughts and opinions please.

Go to top
Re: Supporting the Amiga platform
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@djrikki

Moved to a more appropriate forum.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@djrikki

Quote:

Amigans and the wider community should get involved in the following 'competitions' in co-operation with Hyperion/A-Eon:

* Design a screen saver

Most of this seems like a complete waste of time. Exceptions being:

The site is good for advertising and might be worthwhile, though the current version of the site is probably reasonably appealing to the real target audience of the device.

The video presentation is probably something worthwhile for both the corporate site and to attempt to distribute of channels that the general public might encounter it in (i.e. YouTube etc.)

Everybody has their own talents, and unless there are people contributing this that only have talents in these areas, their time could be better spent elsewhere. What we need is for people to be spending their time writing and porting useful applications (preferably in a manner that has an eye on being able to port them to all Amiga related OSes).

2B v ~2B = ?
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki

About their web site. I think they will hire professional people to do the homepage. And that will be a good idea i think. But people are free to upload amiga videos on youtube,for showoff.

What we need is some known software to appear on os4. For no amigans to recognise, Like firefox and open office etc. That might help in attracting outsiders to us. But for average pc user we need web browser with flash and java. And a good word like program,with good printer support.

Oh,and welcome to our peacefull site.

X5000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@djrikki

Thank you on your kind words regarding this site.

On behalf of the Amigans.net staff, welcome to the site. I hope you'll be here for many years to come.

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@djrikki

Welcome kikiriki :)

This site is for sure a positive site. The thing is, on some other sites, if you ask for amigaos4 you will get replys about morphos and aros and the flame war starts in mostly every thread.

MODs note: Slightly reworded to avoid getting involved in explicitly critising other websites.

Edited by Rigo on 2010/5/17 19:23:24
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki
Suggestions are always worth errm suggesting, maybe it will inspire Trevor & co at A-Eon... As for my personal feelings:

Quote:

Probably would not work, since the site is only "temporary" anyway. They'll probably completely redesign it (albiet keeping popular elements) for (or soon after) the X1000's release.

Quote:

Sounds like a good idea. We have Blender for OS4 now, so people can easily experiment. Maybe something for Helgis to try his hand at?

Quote:

Another good idea. Bit more difficult though, but Blender might even be useful here.

Quote:

This is incredibly hard, Mason has spent YEARS drawing & refining OS4's icon set, and it would be almost impossible to beat him. So I don't see this is feasible, but of course someone can try if they want!

Quote:
* Design a screen saver

Hmmm, possibly. Maybe not too many people know how to program a screen saver though, so you'd have to delegate the actual programming task to some capable. Better see if such a person is available, and if their talents would not be better spent on something better than merely a screen saver.

Quote:

This is something that anyone can do, so I think it would be a good idea.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@djrikki

Welcome! I like your idea, however I'm not sure if it's possible to carry out all of them... but please feel free to spin it further and I'm also willing to submit entries in case any of it gets realized.

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki

welcome aboard ..yes many other Amiga related sites do not refelct a 'good' image some times to new/returning Amiga users for sure unfortunately..
it's been a great last few years for us and the excitement of the X1000 and new Sam hardware and also Amiga's 25'th anniversary will make this year even better

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@varmfskii

Yeah perfectly understood about needing more software ports etc... but the people who can come up with great art aren't the same people who are capable of programming, but nevertheless point taken.

Thanks for the all great welcomes.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

I think every great forum has a member like Helgis on it. =P

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I see lots of people have read this thread now. I wonder how many people with any degree of artistic talent would contribute to a such an idea if Hyperion/A-Eon decided to involve the community more with its website and AOS4 graphic content.

Go to top

Register To Post