Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
JAmiga resurrected?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thread on amiga-news.de

Translation...(not very good, sorry)

Good day to all coders

One or the other will remember JAmiga. For those who doesn't know what it means:
JAmiga is Java for Amiga and MorphOS including AWT

I talked to Peter Weno, the author, and he would be glad if this project would be picked up again.
Therefore we are looking for willing coders or those who want to widen their horizon.
The aim is to be able to use professional Java applications on AmigaOS and MorphOS.

Interested partys can ask me or him.

Thank you
Thore

The JAmiga website seems dead as ever, though

Now my concern...

As there was Java for AmigaOS4 announced to be available soon(TM) in one of the following updates/versions may this be a case of double work?
Should someone tell them, so maybe they could join forces?
Maybe this whole effort is meant to be 68k, but i'm not sure though

Your thoughts, please

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Re: JAmiga resurrected?
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:

As there was Java for AmigaOS4 announced to be available soon(TM) in one of the following updates/versions may this be a case of double work?

No, JAVA was never announced to be in any update, it was mentioned as something that may be focused on in the future. Re-read the press-release on the Hyperion website.

Simon

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo

Ah, i see.
My fault then, sorry

Still, the questions stands that it may be a double effort...or not?

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Raziel

By the time Hyperion are ready to look at JAVA, it's possible that JAmiga might be an integrated contribution similar to projects from the OpenAmiga initiative.

I wouldn't worry about doubling efforts, look at how many browsers we have now :)

Simon

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo Quote:
JAVA was never announced to be in any update, it was mentioned as something that may be focused on in the future. Re-read the press-release on the Hyperion website.

I wasn't aware that any OS4.1.1 or OS4.2 features were mentioned on Hyperion's web site... (Only at some recent Amiga shows.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@ChrisH

Hmm, seems it has been reduced somewhat. As you wrote in your "summary" at amigaworld, JAVA was mentioned as a future focus, and this was conveyed in ssolie's prepared press notes at AmiWest.

Simon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I looked at JAmiga. It however only seems works for Java 1.4 (GNU classpath 0.15?) for now, so I abandoned it.

I have looked at JamVM, and got it to compile but there are a few strange probs I'm trying to understand and fix. JAmiga was not complete, looking at the code, I saw lots of things missing. It is nice with a native Java-implementation, but JamVM seems more complete, and it is used more widely so it might be a better bet.
I think I got the classpth 0.98 to build, but it was kind of difficult to test it without a VM :).
However, don't expect anything from me sometime soon. I'm just na?vely trying.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim
Wouldn't it be better to start with the official Java source code? I'm sure it would a bit more work initially, but in the end you'd probably have a better result...

EDIT: By "official" I mean Sun's actual Java source code. That wasn't available when the Amiga Java projects were started, but now that it is, it would IMHO make sense to use it.

Edited by ChrisH on 2009/10/27 17:09:56
Edited by ChrisH on 2009/10/27 17:10:45
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Official? JAmiga vs JamVM or GNU Classpath vs.. Sun?

Anyway, I was just looking for something that could run Java quickly. And JamVM seemed nice and small, but JAmiga is Amiga-like. In the end its just a matter of choice.
Either way we need a classpath, and I managed to get 0.98 through a compiler, so I just wanted a VM to test it with.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
jamvm is a small JVM that works with Classpath. I think it will be easier to port that the JVM by Sun.
I tried jamvm on Linux but don't know it in depth at the moment ...

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Would it be possible to use Java3D with OpenGL support (including hardware acceleration) in JamVM ?

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

> I wouldn't worry about doubling efforts, look at how many browsers we have now :)

None like IBrowse though

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@BillE

OT:

I hate it when people show off the new icon design...yes, DAX and BillE, i'm talking to YOU... i hate you...

/me wants too

/OT

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@BillE

Thank god!

Simon

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim

Quote:

jaokim wrote:
I looked at JAmiga. It however only seems works for Java 1.4 (GNU classpath 0.15?) for now, so I abandoned it.

I have looked at JamVM, and got it to compile but there are a few strange probs I'm trying to understand and fix. JAmiga was not complete, looking at the code, I saw lots of things missing. It is nice with a native Java-implementation, but JamVM seems more complete, and it is used more widely so it might be a better bet.
I think I got the classpth 0.98 to build, but it was kind of difficult to test it without a VM :).
However, don't expect anything from me sometime soon. I'm just na?vely trying.

Why is it that every time that Java for Amiga pops up, the old JVM is abandoned, and someone tries to write/port yet another JVM? We started with Merapi, then Moca and Koffie, then Kaffe, then JAmiga. Whilst JAmiga was under active development someone announced that they were porting yet another JVM.

Maybe JamVM really is a better bet than JAmiga, but I really wish that people would focus on getting the class path ported, rather than reinventing the JVM yet again. Our problem has NEVER been getting a JVM up and running; it has always been implementing the native methods that the classpath requires.

I suggest that anyone who wants to take up the challenge of getting Java working on Amiga OS, have a look at JAmiga's Java Native Interface (JNI), update it to a clear specification, and then get to work on getting the huge class library's native implementations ported/written. The JNI is the way that Java code interfaces with native code; it's the glue between Java and the OS. We need a specification that defines how native modules for Java can be written (make them shared libraries please), and then loaded and used by the JVM.

If we get the JNI nailed down properly, then we can pick whatever JVM we want, so long as it follows the Amiga JNI specification.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Why is it that every time that Java for Amiga pops up, the old JVM is abandoned, and someone tries to write/port yet another JVM?

Well, I started out with the classpath, maanged to cross-compile it, moved it to the Miggy and tried with JAmiga. JAmiga refused, since it supports 1.4 and not 1.5. I prevously looked at JAmiga and got the binary running on OS4 with the supplied 0.12 Classpath. Wanting 1.5, I looked at Kaffe, tried the old 68k binary which didn't work (needed ixemul). I think I looked at the source, but for some reason I didn't go on with it. I found JamVM which seemed small and overseeable, and thus tried with that.

For JamVM, I have replaced all pthread calls with Amiga-Tasks (since there are a few pthread-functions used, not supported in the Amiga-implementation), and have got it to run. I however get some Elf reloc-issues that I really don't get. I'm guessing some sort of linking/shared/static-issue.

Anyways, today I looked at the JAmiga sources I have on my harddrive and got them to compile. But now I'm stuck on 1.5 stuff. After this, there are however lots to do with JAmiga. Its only version 0.0.5, compared to JamVM's 1.5.3. JamVM is actually used for real (Eclipse Tomcat, etc), and JAmiga can run only a few classes from 1.4.

Basically JAmiga would be great, since it has Amiga-native libraries and is rather Amiga. But JamVM could perhaps do more with a smaller effort.
Well, I'll be hacking away on both, and see which one gets me to a runnable binary.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim

Quote:

jaokim wrote:

Anyways, today I looked at the JAmiga sources I have on my harddrive and got them to compile. But now I'm stuck on 1.5 stuff. After this, there are however lots to do with JAmiga. Its only version 0.0.5, compared to JamVM's 1.5.3. JamVM is actually used for real (Eclipse Tomcat, etc), and JAmiga can run only a few classes from 1.4.

You will probably find that every Java class that is supported by JAmiga, you're going to have to write an Amiga OS specific native module for, or take the JAmiga's native implementation and update that. I haven't looked at the JamVM code, but I'm willing to bet that the AWT and graphics classes have JNI modules that use GTK/GDK on Linux; if not, it'll be some other native toolkit. The same will be true for audio, and many other classes that have to interact with the OS.

This is why I stressed the importance of getting an Amiga OS specific JNI specification written, preferably taking whatever JAmiga does as a starting point. Once the JNI has been defined, then it doesn't matter which JVM you use, people can write the necessary native modules for the Java class library and have it work with whatever JVM is available.

Good luck with your Java efforts. I hope that you get something up and running.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Raziel
Quote:
As there was Java for AmigaOS4 announced to be available soon(TM)...

What I was saying at AmiWest was that Java was a focus for the future along with other features such as SMP. There was also improved USB and a few other items. I don't know how this has warped into Java coming soon but you can stop the rumour now.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ssolie

Quote:

ssolie wrote:
@Raziel
Quote:
As there was Java for AmigaOS4 announced to be available soon(TM)...

What I was saying at AmiWest was that Java was a focus for the future along with other features such as SMP. There was also improved USB and a few other items. I don't know how this has warped into Java coming soon but you can stop the rumour now.

Done...

Misunderstanding, sorry

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jaokim

Well, then you should write to Peter Werno if you are interested in doing some work for JAmiga

People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »