Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

A must-have for every OS4-Developer...
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
... that work with AISS.

Dave Norris released AISSview, a program to navigate through the images of AISS.

You can also change the button state, button style and bitmap style to see how these affect the button.

Great Work!

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Re: A must-have for every OS4-Developer...
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mason

I seriously think AISS should become an official component of OS4...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@xeron

I agree too but then we should have some kind of loading/caching mechanism because on my unfixed A1XE internal IDE the majority of application using AISS are really crawling at startup (20 seconds to load is not uncommon).

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@abalaban

You think that's good,

I know something better is coming to an Amiga near you soon, that will make developing a lot easier.

Until then Shhhhh!

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mikey_C

Wheren't you the one that started the thread named "That Thomas Frieden, he is such a tease!!!" ? I think now I can start one with subject : "That Mickey_C, he is such a tease!!!"

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

That's good to hear, in a strange sort of way.

I always thought the slowdown here was down to my knackered hard-drive or my dodgy programming skills.

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
AISS is great.

I would like to see a scalable icon system though so that icons could be consistently sized irrespective of screen resolution.

svg is the way forward folks...

Happiness is mandatory
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@abalaban

Quote:

abalaban wrote:
@xeron

I agree too but then we should have some kind of loading/caching mechanism because on my unfixed A1XE internal IDE the majority of application using AISS are really crawling at startup (20 seconds to load is not uncommon).

I wonder where the main bottleneck is. Is the the hard-drive, or the image decoding. I'm assuming that it uses datatypes. How optimized are our datatypes at the moment?

BTW, what filesystem do you have AISS on?

Hans

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

I just assumed it was the HD read using my unfixed internal IDE (PIO mode folks ... and even worst using FFS ) that was to blame just because I did not see anywhere complain about speed issues and could simply not believe that everyone can stand we such performance hits...
I don't think it's datatype library itself just see what eastern does and at what speed that's another thing than reading a few (or even dozen of) small 32x32 png pics....

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@abalaban

Oh, PIO mode. I bought an IDE card after IBrowse tool ~20 minutes to clean up the cache on startup. It was a big cache on FFS2, and needed reworking after a crash.

I can't say that I've experienced much delay with program startup for any of the programs that I use.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@abalaban

Quote:

abalaban wrote:

There is already such a system of shared bitmaps in OS4 intuition (don't know if ReAction uses it though).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mason

Heh heh, thanks Mason.

@all

I think it is the datatypes that slows things down.
On my A1SE @ 600MHz using UDMA mode on IDE, this:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave.nos/aword.lha

takes about 7 secs to load, and thats using only a
small amount of gadgets compared to some programs.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@yoodoo2

Quote:

yoodoo2 wrote:
AISS is great.

I would like to see a scalable icon system though so that icons could be consistently sized irrespective of screen resolution.

svg is the way forward folks...

i believe that if the new graphic system is up and running we will see such a thing sooner or later.
maybe the new workbench has to come first...

byebye...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@DaveN

Yes and on my system this takes 42 seconds, so I would say 7 secs is honorable and even acceptable (given you open a splash screen to let the user know something is happening)

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@centaurz
Quote:
There is already such a system of shared bitmaps in OS4 intuition (don't know if ReAction uses it though).

ReAction is really no longer a component. The prefs have been 100% integrated into GUI Prefs and yes the classes use the shared bitmaps, etc. I don't know why we keep calling it ReAction when it is all just standard BOOPSI really. ReAction is really just gone and it all just the standard Amiga OS GUI.

This AISS system could also become part of the standard Amiga OS GUI at some point.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

Why don't you have a SiliconImage IDE/SATA card ? They're not too expensive and they're fast and reliable. No speed issues with them.

@ssolie
Quote:
ReAction is really no longer a component. The prefs have been 100% integrated into GUI Prefs and yes the classes use the shared bitmaps, etc. I don't know why we keep calling it ReAction when it is all just standard BOOPSI really. ReAction is really just gone and it all just the standard Amiga OS GUI.

This AISS system could also become part of the standard Amiga OS GUI at some point.

That's interesting. If this is possible that AISS might become part of AOS so what about ExtremeSound from DaveAE ?

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top

Register To Post