Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

LaTeX on AOS4 for testing
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi all,

I just managed to make a working (at least so far) port of LaTeX for AOS4.
I would like to ask from ppl who are familiar with latex to test it.
So far I tested these applications: latex/elatex/tex/etex compilers, dvips/dvipdfm.
No dvi viewer yet.

atm the file is being uploaded, the url (this is being posted before the upload complete):
http://ae-www.technion.ac.il/~jack/tmp/os4/
file: tetex-3.0_build_alpha1.tar.gz
size: 166616126 bytes (~159 MB)
md5sum: d5a7a9d2ba64ea6565220404ff3377ac

Requirements:
SDK with up-to-date abc-shell.

Please note that this is work in progress and the packaging is not finished and installation inistructions might be incomplete.
Begin with README.amiga

Edit: etex file that replaces older broken etex that slipped into the above archive (same url)
file: tetex-3.0_build_alpha1_etex_only.tar.gz

Jack

Edited by Jack on 2007/10/26 8:50:14
Edited by Jack on 2007/10/26 9:22:04
Edited by Jack on 2007/10/26 10:25:31
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Re: LaTeX on AOS4 for testing
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Jack

Thank you for this, I'll try it this week-end.

I was myself in the process of porting PasTex 1.4 and already obtained native PPC exe of virtex and initex and some other few connex exes.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

I think I will have a look at it, if it is not too complicated..

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Beeblebrox

what does latex do?...
it's huge! O_O

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @spotUP

typesetting
http://www.answers.com/topic/latex-10?cat=technology

Hi @Jack

I'll pass. 156MB is outside the administration limits!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@spotUP

It's a typesetting system for documents. I used to use it until I was forced to use Word by certain conferences. You write documents in a script-like fashion and it will generate the end document for you, automatically laying out the document according to a template. The most annoying thing is having to use codes for everything you want (e.g. \textcolor[red]{Hello, this is red}) and not being able to see the end result as you're creating the document (it's not WYSIWYG). Another big problem is that all images have to be in EPS format, which is a real pain if you're using windows. I had to print to file using a PS printer driver, and then run the resulting EPS file through GhostScript's EPS function to fix it.

The advantages are:
- it takes care of layout and usually puts things in sensible locations. It's layout engine is better than MS Word's, IMHO.
- you don't have to fight to have figures put in the right spot (and numbered correctly) like you do in Word. I'm continually fighting with word to keep figures where I want them, and numbered correctly
- Auto numbering of Equations in the proper way. MS Word still doesn't handle this properly; you have to use a workaround
- Auto referencing via BibTex. This is great. You create a database of references and refer to them in your document via \cite{DOC_REF_CODE} and it will automatically use your template to correctly cite the reference in your text, and build a bibliography or table of references in the right format and order. I use bibtex4word to gain that functionality in Word.

In reality, I wish that I had Latex's auto layout and bibtex referencing system, with a WYSIWYG interface.

Hans

Edited by Hans on 2007/10/26 23:19:44
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@All

Fixed version of "setup" file is in the same url named "teTeX_amiga_setup",
I'll modify it online when there'll be need for changes

@Hans

Quote:

Another big problem is that all images have to be in EPS format, which is a real pain if you're using windows. I had to print to file using a PS printer driver, and then run the resulting EPS file through GhostScript's EPS function to fix it.

Imho, it's a huge pro when doing scientific documents (where images are usually graphs that are "made of" text, lines and dots) or other vector graphics.
To use butmap gfx files, pdftex is needed, but I didn't include it since it opposed my attempts to port it

Now it's time to tackle the viewer issue. there's "ShowDvi" for m68k. And "specialhost" for displaying PS/EPS, but without complete PS support.
Afair, Olaf Barthel was actively involved there, probably it's co-author. Will check possibility to revive it.

Jack

Edited by Jack on 2007/10/28 0:20:43
Edited by Jack on 2007/10/28 0:21:39
Resized Image
"the expression, 'atonal music,' is most unfortunate--it is on a par with calling flying 'the art of not falling,' or swimming 'the art of not drowning.'. A. Schoenberg
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

Quote:

I'll pass. 156MB is outside the administration limits!

Will split file help?

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUP

The executable part is 24MB. The whole stuff is 360MB, with sources if the packages, fonts, documentation.
Full install on windows is 500MB. One probably won't need most of it, but I put the complete stuff there anyway.
Once I get to producton packaging, I'll split it into executable part, runtime and sources.

@snuffy

I'll see if I can remove the sources for a smaller package
Edit:
It is there, with the fixed setup and etex file.
Juts run rehash_amiga inside "sh" after installation.

http://ae-www/~jack/tmp/os4/tetex-3.0_build_alpha1_nosrc.tar.gz

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

The advantages are:

You forgot to mention these :
- macro packages that can do nifty things, mostly related to scienctific fields
- ability to create presentations
- referecning, not only bibliography, but equations/figures/tables:
one can label(example: \label{eq:Schroedinger}) these and reffer to them from anywhere in the text priducing the correct number of the object (\ref{eq:Schroedinger} will be replaced by the correct nuber of the equation)
- programming your own macros
- incredible stability and flexibility with huge documents (one can split the document into several parts, include them (like C #include) into main file and comment out the parts that you do not work atm to focus on the relevant part only). Latex runs well on low-end systems.

@all

I've seen them all: M$ Word, AmigaWriter/FinalWriter/Wordworth. As I feel comfortable with programming, I prefer LaTeX anytime since it is a "programming language".
It is more difficult to setup a short document, it is not WYSIWYG, but in every other case it does the job very well. There are lot of templates, hyphenation support, commands for graphics etc.

I own a copy of AmigaWriter, and in last 6.5 years, since I discovered latex, I used AmigaWriter only once, a week ago before I managed to get latex working.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@thread

More development:
got ShowDvi going (m68k, the one that appeared in pastex and amiweb2c) with teTeX.
The font generation for preview is done by native metafont so it's should be speedy enough.
Will have to iron it out and then I'll release fixed callmf and friends arexx scripts

Things are getting better
Will see if there's a chance to make use of gs in specialhost for picture generation, if not, I'll try to make a script that produces PostScript compatible with post.library in specialhost.

If anyone has some ideas suggestion, they are wellcome. The only thing I'm affraid of now is that changing specialhost is beyond my abilities atm (seems to me that there's some use of assembler in PostScript-related code).
Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

The experiment continues:

http://ae-www.technion.ac.il/~jack/tmp/os4/tetex_showdvi.lha

Contains the setup instructions and modified files for m68k ShowDVI. Specialhost wasn't tested yet, so it migh have to be disabled if it is loaded automatically in your existing setup.
Note again: this is "fresh from the oven".
It works for me, should work for you. More tidy installation process will be derived from your experiences.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
A teaser screenshot for Amiga LaTeX users, maybe that will encourage you to install and feed back the feedbacks.
LaTeX + ShowDVI and shell it's running in and Annotate with partial latex syntax parser :

http://aerodyne.technion.ac.il/~jack/tmp/os4/latex_shot.png

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

A bit more polished instructions available as well as newer ShowDVI files.

http://ae-www.technion.ac.il/~jack/tmp/os4

Now time to test ShowDVI in action with PS gfx...

Still waiting for feedback from latex users...

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Jack

Thanks for the effort! I used Pastex on my A1200 and Miktex on my Laptop. I'll try this out on OS4...

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

There's an active polishing of the program on aw.net thread. Please refer to this in case of problems:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... p?topic_id=24556&forum=32

The files at:
are reordered and the archives now contain the changes made so far (Bakoma fonts are not integrated yet).

Meanwhile brief summary/FAQ:

1. dvipdfm should be used in amiga shell to include gfx properly

2. fake "zcat" for inclusion of eps/ps gfx by dvipdfm is online

3. newer rehash_amiga is online

4. Bakoma fonts howto is online too (see ISSUES)

Happy LaTeX-ing
Jack

Edited by Jack on 2007/11/1 19:50:49
Edited by Jack on 2007/11/1 19:51:40
Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Some new fixes available online:

Files are in chronologically ascending order (newest at the bottom).
Please backup the old versions, copy new and test.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Major fixes are there again (whole binary part + some stuff and showdvi integration package)

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Another snapshot of ShowDVI integration (#4): more bugfixes and howto isolate the application (ShowDVI) from Amiweb2c/Pastex by Daniel Westerberg.

Jack

Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post