Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

balaton, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
Turboprint & Workbench printing lock-up.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have Turboprint v7.0 set up in WBStartup.prefs, and it works fine,
but when I try to print from Notepad my whole sytem (A1XE G3-800) locks up.

I copied Turbostart back to the Turboprint directory, and added it to WBStartup.prefs, I have also tried using Turboprefs directly from WBStartup, with the same results. I even tried using a1parallel.device directly from Turbprint, with no joy.

Is anyone using Turboprint succesfully?

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: Turboprint & Workbench printing lock-up.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Yes and no.

I have seen no difference in using Turboprint between the previous OS4.1 and the upodate.

One problem I did have was that if printing plain text the printing system would hang. I do not think the whole systems hangs but to do any printing I ended up having to reboot.

Printing graphics was fine, and after I had printed some graphics then the printer seemed to be initialised and printing plain text files worked.

This bug only happens when using the parellel port, if using USB then everthing worked perfectly. Unfortunately my Mac is connected via the USB port leaving only the parallel connection for the Amiga.

I made it manageable by printing a blank page from Wordworth before printing plain text files via prt:

I did have this bug perviously too, I have nor checked with OS4.1 update 1 yet but graphics printing works fine with Turboprint.

Maybe starting TP from your user-startup may help, that is where I start my Turboprint from.

Bill.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BillE

The steps involved:-

1. Turboprint is launched via WBStartup.prefs on turning my A1 on.
2. I launch Notepad and load a text file.
3. If I then Print the file (from the menu, or RAmiga+P).
4. The file is sent to the printer, and my A1 immediatley freezes.

I haven't tried printing graphics first, but as the text file eventually prints, I think it is a problem with either the driver, or the a1parallel.device.

If i disable Turboprint and reboot, or select NoTURBO, then Notepad, or Utilities/printfiles print fine, with no system freeze.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BillE

I've just booted into OS4.1 and it works flawlessly. :(

My Turboprint is the same location one (Work2).
I remember Tetisoft on the A1 mailing list said there was some conflict between Turboprint and Workbench printer prefs (?) not releasing the printer driver/device.
He did some tweeks to correct it.
I suppose I'll have to copy various files across from my OS4.1 install to try to find the culprit.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swoop

I'm using turbprint on my sam-flex with no major issues.

I start it when i need it though. not every program works with it, even on 68k systems.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
I'm using turbprint on my sam-flex with no major issues.

I start it when i need it though. not every program works with it, even on 68k systems.

I have always had it in WBStartup, and on my OS4.0 install, it plays nicely with the system programs. On OS4.1 it locks up as soon as it has sent the file to the printer.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop
I own turboprint 7.60, but never tried to print text
from the workbench, but I have a turboprint related
problem, GraphicsPublisher while is loading an image
the system seems frozen until the image it's loaded,
seems that multitasking it's completely disabled,
can you try and I try to print some text :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

I have the same problem as you. Any text printing from Notepad locks up the computer and I don't even get any printer output, but graphics printing and other things are OK.

Turboprint 7.6 via lpr.device

A1-XE(G3) 512 Mb RAM

OS 4.1 update 1

I have tried printing from GraphicsPublisher first and then Notepad, but NotePad still locks everything up and I have to do a hard reset.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swoop

Multiview seems to print well with turboprint for text files. So you could use that as a workarround.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Quote:
Multiview seems to print well with turboprint for text files. So you could use that as a workarround.

Thanks for that. Multiview does indeed print without locking up the system, but it seems to "lose" two lines between pages, and I can't seem to find anyway to set no. of lines per page in Multiview.

Both Notepad, and PrintFiles, lock up when using Turboprint.
I wonder what Multiview does differently, when printing?

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Thread

NotePad, PrintFiles and InitPrinter, all lock up my system when Turboprint is running, even if I blacklist it.

I have tried the following:-

1. Using OS4.1 a1parallel.device.
2. Using OS4.1 printer.device.
3. Using OS4.1 Notepad
4. Using OS4.1 a1parallel.device & printer.device together
5. Blacklisting Turboprefs
6. Disabling Ringhio in WBStartup.
7. Disabling AsyncWB in WBStartup.
8. Printing direct to Device in Turboprefs

All result in the system completley freezing, and requiring a hard reset.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

bump

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swoop

Does increasing the stack size for Turboprint help? I don't have Turboprint, so that's about the only suggestion that I have.

hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

What happens if you don't start Turboprint from wbstartup or the new prefs method?

Can you print with Notepad without issues?

If you can, then start Graphics Publisher (Turboprint). Can you now print with Turboprint?

This is essentially the reverse order of what I see you trying to do. I'm just curious as to the result.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@number6

If I print using a basic HP driver and not starting Turboprint, then NotePad prints fine.

I then start TurboPrint, try to print the same thing from NotePad that is still open, and I get the lock up.

So it seems to be a conflict between NotePad and TurboPrint when used in 4.1 update 1. I had no problems with previous OS versions.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@busytech

Quote:
If I print using a basic HP driver and not starting Turboprint, then NotePad prints fine.

As I expected.

Quote:
I then start TurboPrint, try to print the same thing from NotePad that is still open, and I get the lock up.

Ok. I meant as a 2nd step to just start TurboPrint, and print something. You instead started TurboPrint WITHOUT printing anything and instead went to make a print attempt with Notepad.

What I'm trying to do is compare your result with what tetisoft wrote in 2007.

Quote:
Oh well... So it not only installs an 68k V39 "printer.device" into memory
out of thin air, but also a "parallel.device"? Why cant it avoid patching
everything and simply install its drivers into PRINTERS:?

It would seem that you can use Notepad for printing UNTIL you start turboprint, if this information is still current.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@number6

Quote:
What happens if you don't start Turboprint from wbstartup or the new prefs method?

Can you print with Notepad without issues?
Without Turboprint Started at all, Notepad, PrintFiles, and InitPrinter, all work fine.
If I then start Turbprint I get the following Message
RemDevice Failed
Can't remove original printer.device
It would seem Turoprint can only be started safely from WBStartup!!

Quote:
If you can, then start Graphics Publisher (Turboprint). Can you now print with Turboprint?
If I don't start Turboprint, Ican print from Graphics Publisher, but if I select Turoprefs from the print requester, I get an error Can't open device (I'll try to reproduce tommorrow for the exact message.

Quote:
This is essentially the reverse order of what I see you trying to do. I'm just curious as to the result.

I was trying to find Detlefs posts on the mailing list, but I couldn't find them.
I seem to remember that he was going to (or did) implement a tweek to allow Turboprint and printer devices to play together nicely.

My main concern is that everything works correctly under OS4.0, but under update 1, the above conflicts occur. I have tried copying accross the OS4.0 components to eliminate the problems, but with no success.
I don't know if Detlef is still part of the OS4 team, but it might be that his tweeks weren't compiled into the update1 files.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Sorry,my mistake....

>What happens if you don't start Turboprint from wbstartup or the new prefs method?

>Can you print with Notepad without issues?

NotePad prints fine

>If you can, then start Graphics Publisher (Turboprint). Can you now print with Turboprint?

Graphics publisher prints fine. I then tried to print from Notepad and instead of the whole computer locking up, just NotePad locks up with no printer output.

>This is essentially the reverse order of what I see you trying to do. I'm just curious as to the result.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
I was trying to find Detlefs posts on the mailing list, but I couldn't find them.
I seem to remember that he was going to (or did) implement a tweek to allow Turboprint and printer devices to play together nicely.

I think this thread probably covers most of what you remember:
OS4 Final "stole" printing away from me! ;) SOLVED!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong though. My reading says his answer relates to parallel printers, based on the date and content.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:

Without Turboprint Started at all, Notepad, PrintFiles, and InitPrinter, all work fine.
If I then start Turbprint I get the following Message
RemDevice Failed
Can't remove original printer.device.
It would seem Turoprint can only be started safely from WBStartup!!

Not here, I can start turboprint (by clicking on turboprefs in my amidock) at any time, so long as no standard print is still in progress. Your error suggests something still had the print device open.

[edit]remove rogue apostrophe![/edit]

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »